S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

mods on my car....but slower than stock?

Old 02-12-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A crap one. You should always dyno and then street tune, dyno again, street tune, so on and so on..
Old 02-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpinoy,Feb 12 2006, 04:37 AM
i know the point of a race cat is to run richer to get those few "potential" hp,
I don't think the "race cat" (i'm assuming testpipe) has anything to do with your car running rich. running rich or lean has to do with the air/fuel mix, which is controlled by the ecu. Installing a higher flow cat or testpipe helps to smooth out the exhaust flow and removes some back pressure. That's it.

you also said you added the race cat to run a bit more rich to gain a few hp. well isn't exactly true either. As i've read before Rich is safe but slow, while Lean is dangerous but fast. Leaning out the A/F mix will gain power to a point (going too lean...well lets not do that). If you're trying to gain max power, you only want to make the mix more rich in areas in the rpm band that are too Lean.

hopefully whoever tuned your VAFC (adjusts A/F mix) understands these concepts. I'm not knocking the shop you went to because i don't know them, i'm just saying there ARE bad tuners out there.

Now as far as the ECU readjusting itself after the VAFC tune, I've heard it only does this for the partial throttle map. I've read it won't readjust for the WOT map. I haven't seen any actual proof on this however so take it for what it's worth.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, a street tune will be more accurate as it will relate to real weather conditions whereas on a dyno the air entering into the vehicle is forced through a fan/blower. Either way have her thrown on a dyno and do a base run to see if it matches up to your original dyno plot.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by koala,Feb 12 2006, 12:29 PM
Another possibility is that if you've added a lot of power before the VTEC crossover, the changeover wont be as abrupt, so it "feels" like you lost power, when in reality you've just added a lot more before VTEC to make the transition smoother.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:13 PM

You are prolly use to the power and it does not feel as fast as before. Cars that are just as fast FEEL faster because they have more torque which will throw you back in your seat harder. My Altima and my 350Z FEEL faster but they are not. They just have more torque then my S2000.

This is to the wheels.
S2000 Supercharged 189 lbs of torque
Altima 252 lbs of torque
350Z 265 lbs of torque
Old 02-12-2006, 06:11 PM

Just race people at the local drag strip. If you can out run fast cars and get decent times then you know its not really slow but just feels slow. This may be pointless if you dont have pre-mod times but at least you'll know if the cars in the 13's which is fast for a basic bolt ons S. For about 20 bucks it will cost less than getting it retuned.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Feb 12 2006, 05:25 AM
You only get horsepower with name brand mods from companies like Spoon, Mugen and J's.
hahaha and only if you apply the supplied stickers too
Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 PM

thanks for all the suggestions and information guys! yea when the car was tuned, it was dynoed as well....with a huge fan infront of the car. the shop does quality work, very well respected down here in houston. but yea i actually ran a friend of mine with an 03(w/ a CAI) off a roll and a dig. on the roll, id be about 1/2 a car infront, but he eventually pulls on me. Same goes from a dig, id jump about a car and he eventually catches up . i definantly set up another tune/dyno session and find out what's really going on.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpinoy,Feb 12 2006, 10:15 PM
thanks for all the suggestions and information guys! yea when the car was tuned, it was dynoed as well....with a huge fan infront of the car. the shop does quality work, very well respected down here in houston. but yea i actually ran a friend of mine with an 03(w/ a CAI) off a roll and a dig. on the roll, id be about 1/2 a car infront, but he eventually pulls on me. Same goes from a dig, id jump about a car and he eventually catches up . i definantly set up another tune/dyno session and find out what's really going on.
Racing also depends on drivers, not saying that you're a bad driver but did you guys swap cars and see if the results are the same? If you'd gotten it dyno'ed then what kind of hp/tq are you putting down? More infos would be nice, if you guys swapped cars and still it's the same outcome then there's something wrong with yours. Hope that helps...
Old 02-13-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe your valves need adjusting?

Quick Reply: mods on my car....but slower than stock?