S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is Mobile 1 worthwhile or just hype?

Old 06-19-2001, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]

Once again just because YOU have not seen something does not mean it does not exist.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:43 AM

[B]
Plain bearing engines require a film of oil for the bearings to trap so the moving part can ride on this film like a tobbogan on snow.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:55 AM
Bieg

The point is that Mobil 1 IS NOT superior oil, it is equal oil for what motor oil has to do. Yes, I agree with you it is still subjective whether an individual wishes to pay 393% more for equal oil.
Show me ANY lab test that shows that conventional oil of the same type and grade is equal to Mobil 1.

Just because two oils meet SAE spec does not make them "equal".

Of course you only run your engine in a perfect world where the temps are never cold and where you never lose the belt that drives the water pump or never lose your coolant so you never need to protect against the extremes.

Old 06-19-2001, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LATEOTT
[B]

- snip -

The point is that Mobil 1 IS NOT superior oil, it is equal oil for what motor oil has to do.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:59 AM
Bieg

First, contrary to popular belief, your engine parts are not devoid of oil when the engine is not running. They don't have AS MUCH oil as when the oil pump is fully functioning, but they are not
bare and rusty unless your car has been parked for a very long time.
The residual oil on the bearings will do nothing if it does not get replenished by a constant supply of fresh, clean oil. The faster that happens the less wear on the bearings and journals. Synthetics replenish those areas faster when the temps are cold. What is so hard for you to understand?

Old 06-19-2001, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by marcucci
It would appear that oil is about as personal as underwear, and there are some people that aren't going to change no matter what (brands, I mean!).
I vehemently disagree with this comment! I have, I have changed my underwear! I wear multiple brands! Sometimes they even contain synthetics! (but never ALL synthetic...)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]
Consumer Reports in their famous Taxi test showed that synthetic oil did reduce wear over conventional oil, even considering the synthetic had a longer change interval than the conventional.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:32 AM

[B]

The residual oil on the bearings will do nothing if it does not get replenished by a constant supply of fresh, clean oil.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:45 AM

The residual oil on the bearings is the same oil that will be replenishing the oil on the bearings later.

The oil on the bearing is not necessarily used up but gets moved along by the moving parts. If there is no oil following the moving oil as supplied by the oil pump, the oil film gets thinner and eventually parts rub and friction occurs.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Prolene
The residual oil on the bearings is the same oil that will be replenishing the oil on the bearings later...
I can understand the progression of events in Bieg's story. I just disagree with the grand finale. The fact is that many millions of internal combustion engines do not suffer from scarred journals and worn bearings, even though some of these engines do not use Mobil 1. My point is that it is a product that protects you from something you don't need to be protected from.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LATEOTT
[B]

I vehemently disagree with this comment! I have, I have changed my underwear!

Quick Reply: Is Mobile 1 worthwhile or just hype?