S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is Mobile 1 worthwhile or just hype?

Old 06-18-2001, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the linked website above:

"The synthetics offer the only truly significant differences, due to their superior high temperature oxidation resistance, high film strength, very low tendency to form deposits, stable viscosity base, and low temperature flow characteristics. Synthetics are superior lubricants compared to traditional petroleum oils. You will have to decide if their high cost is justified in your application. "

Basically synthetics give you more leadway in all areas. Is it worth it? That's up to you to decide. I can tell you one thing for sure though. Most engine wear is caused at startup. Avoiding cold starts is one thing you can try to do besides changing the oil every 3000 miles.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gabedude
[B]From the linked website above:

"The synthetics offer the only truly significant differences, due to their superior high temperature oxidation resistance, high film strength, very low tendency to form deposits, stable viscosity base, and low temperature flow characteristics. Synthetics are superior lubricants compared to traditional petroleum oils. You will have to decide if their high cost is justified in your application. "

Basically synthetics give you more leadway in all areas.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by marcucci

I used to use Honda until I opened one up.
What were your findings?
Old 06-19-2001, 05:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by marcucci
... Mobil 1 leaves behind less sludge than convetional oils; from the numbers I've seen, it's less still than Castrol or other synthetic oils.
How many engines have you opened up to find 'sludge'? I have never seen deposits in any engine of mine or others that have had reasonable maintenance. I have only seen deposits in older 'junk' cores that had little or no maintenance. IMO you are 'creating' a problem that does not exist in this context.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:08 AM
Bieg

Originally posted by cdelena

How many engines have you opened up to find 'sludge'? I have never seen deposits in any engine of mine or others that have had reasonable maintenance. I have only seen deposits in older 'junk' cores that had little or no maintenance. IMO you are 'creating' a problem that does not exist in this context.
Once again just because YOU have not seen something does not mean it does not exist. There are certain conditions that are more apt to produce sludge. Perhaps you don't encounter them.

Anyway who cares?
The question was is Mobil 1 worthwhile or just hype? Well the answer is it is NOT just hype. It is a superior oil compared to conventional oils.

That is something objective and there should be no debate about it.

Whether it is "worthwhile" or not is up to the individual.
That is subjective.
Debating something that is subjective is pointless.

Bottom line is it is one of the very best oils you can put in your car. Whether it is worth the price is up to the individual.

Now why don't we move on.

Old 06-19-2001, 06:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Bieg
Once again just because YOU have not seen something does not mean it does not exist......
Now why don't we move on.
I was reporting from personal experience that I feel is at least as valuable as the information from the
Old 06-19-2001, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now... while I've been interpreting your posts as near-attacks I have to agree; info first-hand is always better than getting it "filtered" through more people and opinions. I haven't opened a single engine up in my life; I haven't had to. I've been driving Hondas the past 10 years and was just lucky with the 3 non-Hondas I had before that.

All my info is based on personal friends that build/repair engines, were Petroleum Engineers, and on what data I've seen in magazines and technical articles. I can't vouch for it any more than I can my friends' expertise, which won't mean as much to people on the list as it does to me.

I'm not passing anything off as gospel, but I DO hope I'm persuading some people to dig into this for themselves. Hence my posting of the link.

Since someone (Prolene) asked, here's a link to my filter review article:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Keep in mind that while I'm an engineer, I'm by no means a materials, chemical, or filtering expert. I'd also like to point out that I've read that the filtration data provided by manufacturers varies widely due to the methods used, and that it's difficult to compare one to another- which is why I haven't provided this.

Filters I'm currently writing up: Amsoil, Napa Gold, Napa Silver
Filters I'm about to cut open: Used Honda (Canada), Used Honda (JDM), HAMP

My conclusion on Honda filters is: don't waste your money unless you buy JDM. Yes, I know, a non- Honda filter may void your warranty, but not only do I think it's silly to worry about, Honda would be legally obligated to prove that your filter caused the damage.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:56 AM

I respect everyone's opinion here, so I'm not disputing anybody's knowledge or experience. But I think it is fair to look at the logic used on the other side of the discussion. Misconceptions and inductive (vs. DEductive) logic abound!

Regarding the article:
From the linked website above:

"Editor's Note: This information appears to have been posted in a public message to rec.motorcycles. I have not been able to verify the accuracy or source for this file. "
Originally posted by gabedude
Basically synthetics give you more leadway in all areas
No. Because something has certain characteristics in extreme environments DOESN'T mean it gives ANY advantage when used in the real world. However, this is a favorite of advertising folks ("Astronauts drink Tang in space, therefore Tang is the most healthy drink to serve your children on Earth.)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gabedude
[B]Most engine wear is caused at startup.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]

Prove it.

I can prove Mobil 1 flows faster easy enough.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:24 AM
Bieg

I hear this in just about every motor oil and motor oil additive advertisement I see AND I have seen it posted all over the web AND I have read this many posts in newsgroups Is it true? No.
Most engine wear occurs during the running of the engine.
Where is your source? Are we just supposed to take your word on it?

Plain bearing engines require a film of oil for the bearings to trap so the moving part can ride on this film like a tobbogan on snow. When that film of oil is present there is almost no wear on these parts as there is no direct contact. It is when these parts do not have this film of oil built up yet (cold starts) that the wear occurs.

That is why you are supposed to drive "easy" until your engine is fully warmed up.

Now where is your evidence to the contrary or are we just supposed to believe your declarative statements with absolutly no support?

Quick Reply: Is Mobile 1 worthwhile or just hype?