S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobile 1 synthetic oil

Old 08-17-2004, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always liked the stuff that goes into my wife's Mercedes. The Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula. The packaging is distinguished with its black cap and black highlights (as opposed to the green of 10W-30). I never used it on my S2000, but find myself tempted.

The new Mercedes engines are all aluminum (block and head) and I could understand why Mercedes wants to specify the use of such a wide weight oil since the oil has to work on the workhorse ML to the Supercharged SL55 or the twin turbo 600's

What are your thoughts on using such an oil on the S2000? Obviously we can debate this to no end or until someone tries it and established testing criteria to gauge whether it's a good oil for our application or not.

cheers

W
Old 08-17-2004, 10:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=xviper,Aug 17 2004, 06:58 PM] Amsoil is ... sold only by "distributors".
Old 08-17-2004, 10:40 PM

I use Amsoil Euro formula 5W40 in the summer and Amsoil 5W30 in the winter. I have yet to add more than 1/8 qt over my average 2,500-3,500 mile change intervall. I'm still the biggest fan of Amsoil's 5W30 and 10W30 formulations. The 5W40 is working very well in the summer.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Slipstream, you gotta understand, I'm in Canada and speaking only about my situation, the cross border shopping, shipping, taxes, duty, brokerage, etc, makes it simply not a valid option when I can drive 5 minutes to the Walmart and get M1. As far as I know, there is no "in Canada" internet outlet for this oil.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a Mobile Mobil synthetic, you could also look at Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40. It is supposed to be a step above the other Mobil synthetics. I am using it, but don't have any UOA's yet. I had to order it - couldn't find it at the WalMart.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 17 2004, 11:40 PM
I use Amsoil Euro formula 5W40 in the summer and Amsoil 5W30 in the winter. I have yet to add more than 1/8 qt over my average 2,500-3,500 mile change intervall. I'm still the biggest fan of Amsoil's 5W30 and 10W30 formulations. The 5W40 is working very well in the summer.
I switched to Mobil 1 at 9,000 miles after dino oil consumption trickled down to nothing.

Since my last change at 13,000 miles, I've gone through two quarts over 3,000 miles. Worse by 2x since the last change. I don't flog my car nor Vtec much either.

It's not a gradual loss. I can go through 3 fillups with minimal consumption, then over a period of two tankfuls, burn through 400ml (or more).

This last check had me add 700ml over a period of 550 miles.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd like to expand upon and ammend a previous post of mine with information just received.
There were 3 local distributors for Amsoil here in Calgary. I called all of them today. One sells out of his home and has never and still doesn't return my calls. The second one is selling out of a repair shop. They quoted me $10.85 Can for 1 US qt. (I can get 1 liter of M1 for under $7.00 at Walmart.)
The third place is phasing out Amsoil. It too, is a performance shop that caters to racing clubs. The guy said that all the racing clubs have switched to Mobil 1 and it just wasn't worth it for him to carry Amsoil anymore. He said the racing guys could not see the benefit of Amsoil for their particular applications. He used the term "cult following" for those who use Amsoil. This was not my statement, just relaying what an X-Amsoil distributor said.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One More Question...

I tried calling honda today, but service was closed. does honda sell mobil 1 synthetic oil, or do i have to supply my own oil?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 18 2004, 03:39 PM
I'd like to expand upon and ammend a previous post of mine with information just received.
There were 3 local distributors for Amsoil here in Calgary. I called all of them today. One sells out of his home and has never and still doesn't return my calls. The second one is selling out of a repair shop. They quoted me $10.85 Can for 1 US qt. (I can get 1 liter of M1 for under $7.00 at Walmart.)
The third place is phasing out Amsoil. It too, is a performance shop that caters to racing clubs. The guy said that all the racing clubs have switched to Mobil 1 and it just wasn't worth it for him to carry Amsoil anymore. He said the racing guys could not see the benefit of Amsoil for their particular applications. He used the term "cult following" for those who use Amsoil. This was not my statement, just relaying what an X-Amsoil distributor said.
That price is highway robbery! I can't tell you (because of the rules) exactly how much I pay for a quart of Amsoil, but I can give you a ballpark figure ... I pay a bit less than $5.50 per qt. for the 5W30 or 10W30 and around that amount for the 5W40.
I couldn't tell you how much shipping and taxes are for you in Canada, but I can look into the cost via Amsoil directly. I'll get back with you on that ...
Old 08-18-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by honda606,Aug 17 2004, 08:17 PM
So you officially decided to go with the LE...how do others get this "insider info"?

How many miles do you plan to run it between changes? How much is a case through LE?
That is my little joke. The VOA has been posted. I like their add pack - it is quite unique, and they use additives that are proprietary, and their combo of mid continent paraffinics and PAO's allows the add pack to "take" very effectively and be effective at a wide range of temperatures *- they also have not surrendered to the SL rating. They use boron for one thing, and magnesium. Their TFOUT performance is mind-boggling; not one Internet pundits would ascribe to a mere synblend. Plus, they heavily refine their GII stocks, and achieve a saturation level that is very close to PAO's, with none of its downsides, such as seal effects.

Amsoil's formula has changed because they have given in to SL - it mandates lower levels of ZDP. As far as I can tell, they have not done anything to adjust to that - such as using the amine compounds that Conoco uses in the 5w20 Motorcraft synblend. The amines will be essential, in my opinion, for the next API oil grade, which will be demanding.

I think a case of 24 is about $117. I change every six months, since I drive so few miles (I only have 1800 since December). I have not switched over to it yet, but plan to use it in my TL (which is spec'd for 5w20) and the Outback, where I go 7500 miles on it, and it has a lot left at that.

*one of the little known facts about synoils is that they can can be recalcitrant in the uptake of the add pack - it took the industry years to get it right, and they strill monkey with it. With the GIII mineral oils getting so good and no breakthrough in synoil tedchnology, the case for pure synoils is getting weaker and weaker in my view.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 synthetic oil