S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobil1 VS Valvoline

Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used M1, Castrol Edge, Royal Purple, Q Horsepower, and now Pennzoil Ultra and i'm still burning 1qt every 1k.

Maybe too much VTEC yo?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM

I used to be big fan of valvoline. I used that on all my family cars/my previous cars for many years and now switching to castrol GTX/syntec. Everyone says " mobil 1 mobil 1 mobil 1" So i tried, ehhh no, never go back.

Now i put amsoil in s2k, so far i like it. But will switch to GC or Edge on my next oil change. And keep it that way.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto123,Oct 20 2010, 08:42 AM
I've used M1, Castrol Edge, Royal Purple, Q Horsepower, and now Pennzoil Ultra and i'm still burning 1qt every 1k.

Maybe too much VTEC yo?
hmmmm well i ran penzoil ultra too and didnt burn a drop of oil..... and trust me i vtec the heck outa my s2k!!! she prolly hates me
Old 10-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys!!! What is it about searching for the best oil available thats so hard?

AMSOIL was the first full synthetic oil... Since then, they have developed the best performing oil hands down... Third party test show this... Mobil1? Are you serious? One of the lowest performing oils on the market... Castrol Syntec seems to be pretty solid, but still no comparison to the shear test, cold start test, longevity, etc. of AMSOIL...

I run the 0w30 and literally burn none between my 8-10k mile oil changes... I use the 90w Gear Lube in my diff, and stuck with the Honda syn for gearbox...

at <$7 a quart, how is there even a debate on this?
Just sayin..
Old 10-20-2010, 04:40 PM

"I've used M1, Castrol Edge, Royal Purple, Q Horsepower, and now Pennzoil Ultra and I'm still burning 1qt every 1K. Maybe too much VTEC, yo?"

Preston123, try one of the high-mileage vehicle oils like Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle in 10W-30. These tend to burn off less in cars that are prone to some kind of consumption. If you still see consumption, step up to 10W-40. You could also try other brands like Chevron Supreme High Mileage, Havoline High Mileage, Valvoline Max Life, etc ... but I like Pennzoil's base oils and additive pack the best (given the last data I've seen).

The biggest benefit from synthetics are their cold-flow properties ... but being in Florida, that's not really a concern for you.

What's your drain interval using those mass-market synthetics? 3,000 miles? 4,000? A good conventional will perform well in warm temps up to about 3,000 miles of 'spirited' driving.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 PM

mobile 1 = say good bye to your timing chain tensioner.

i had to replace mine twice!! and them things are not cheap.

switched to royal purple and loving it.

search around and youll see what im talking about.

edit: here's some supporting documents

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=320897&st=0

read through it
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 AM

^ive read many negative feedbacks of RP. I tried their tranny/diff fluid before.

Offtopic, I love that CS image on ur sig.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Must read:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchan...Motor%20Oil.pdf

Basically you want something with high phosphorus and zinc if you remove your cat (should be a no brainer) and you want to keep a TBN of at least 10. For boost, may be a good idea to step up to 10w40.

I also swore by Mobil1 but their zinc/phos levels have dropped to shit. Valvoline VR1 is good but TBN is only 8.

So your choices are down to Amsoil AMO or Brad Penn

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...post&p=19448317
Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesAP2K,Oct 20 2010, 01:28 PM
Guys!!! What is it about searching for the best oil available thats so hard?

AMSOIL was the first full synthetic oil... Since then, they have developed the best performing oil hands down... Third party test show this... Mobil1? Are you serious? One of the lowest performing oils on the market... Castrol Syntec seems to be pretty solid, but still no comparison to the shear test, cold start test, longevity, etc. of AMSOIL...

I run the 0w30 and literally burn none between my 8-10k mile oil changes... I use the 90w Gear Lube in my diff, and stuck with the Honda syn for gearbox...

at <$7 a quart, how is there even a debate on this?
Just sayin..
Curious why you choise to go with 0W30 oil instead of the 10W30 or the other viscosities listed on the Amsoil application guide for the S2000? I could understand maybe if you resided in a exterme cold region. Just curious. Have you tried the 10W30 and found that the 0W30 performed better at cold startups?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Boofster, I agree that an oil with higher levels of ZDDP (zinc & phosphorous) are needed for higher performance engines.

But I'm not sure why you are asking for a TBN (Total Base Number) of 10 or more. This is the oil's ability to handle acids formed as a byproduct of combustion and only come into play in longer oil drains ... and have no effect on the short term ability of oil to handle high heat/stress conditions.

And the Forced Performance list of oils is not bad ... but leaves out many high performance brands/oils. Red Line Oil? Schaeffer? Motul??

"I also swore by Mobil1 but their zinc/phos levels have dropped to shit."

Mobil 1 has been formulated on the thin side (viscosity) and has had less zinc and phosphorous for some time now. Formulations change about every year or so but this has been largely true for the past 15 years.

I have to go back and correct what I said about Pennzoil High Mileage having a really stout additive package. That was true a few years ago ... but they have removed practically all the boron and moly from their formula ... and I'm not sure if they still have 5-10% ester in their base oil.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 VS Valvoline