S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobil Syntec at first oil change???

Old 03-22-2002, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil Syntec at first oil change???

I gots a question for the tech heads... I am not experienced in engine oil or lubing of the engine and I have a strange question. When my salesman delivered the car to me he DEMANDED that when I brin my car back for first oil change to also bring One quart of Syntec! He would give it to service and they would combine this along with regular oil and only do this the first time. He guaranteed this would help lube the engine more effectively! Is there any truth to this statement!

I have my appt tomorrow so I am seeking replies ASAP!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2002, 03:03 PM

Stick to regular, non-synthetic oil until the rings have had time to break in (7500 miles or so), then consider synthetic oil.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:01 PM

Let the piston rings seat properly before using synthetic, ~10K miles specially for our engines.
If you do not, you will end up with a engine that burns oil excessively and do not perform to its potential.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:35 PM

not true. The rings will seat eventually. I was going to have my first oil change done at the dealer I bought the car from, but declined to b/c I'd rather work on the car myself (changing oil is a piece of cake when it comes to building up a turbo kit from scratch). Anyways, the dealership used mobil 1 syntec on their first oil changes on s2000s. Not saying that they are right, but it's a myth to have to use dino oil until the second or third oil change for proper ring seating. The rings take time to seat anyways, some motors taking longer than others. There's no harm, but better saftety to use synthetic oils or blends in the motor over dino oils. The only harm you can do is to do the first oil change too early. Just hold off to what honda recommends. You can mix sythetic with regular oil, but your better off just using sythetic.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:38 PM

My car had its first oil change at 1000km (600mi) to normal mineral oil, and since 5000km (3000mi) it has been running full synthetic. It does not use a drop of oil and runs perfectly. Incidentally, all Australian delivered cars have their first oil change at 1000km and Honda Australia will void the warranty if it is not performed. Just offering this information to counterbalance the usual "break in oil" dogma.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:57 AM

Yes, you can use Mobil 1 10W-30 at the first oil change. The Owner's Manual says there is no harm in using synthetic.

There was a note in a publication, allegedly from American Honda, stating to wait until 10,000 miles before using synthetic oil, but I don't see what that solves. Your engine will be well run-in long before then. Further, this statement has not been sent to me from either American Honda or my dealer as superseding what is in the Owner's Manual. Therefore, I don't find the publication to be compelling evidence that using synthetic oil before 10,000 miles is improper for the F20C.

In the end, do what makes you sleep well at night. If you will lose sleep over using synthetic "too early" then don't. If you feel better having synthetic in your motor sooner than later (I do), then change it to synthetic at the first service interval.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:17 PM

just go with synthetic..
Old 03-23-2002, 06:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blckndvoodoo
[B] When my salesman delivered the car to me he DEMANDED that when I brin my car back for first oil change to also bring One quart of Syntec!
Old 03-23-2002, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id go back over there and give that salesperson a punch in the back of the head...Ive never heard such a reduculous thing to do....You either go full synthetic or not....Sure you can mix synthetic and conventional but, what benifit will 1 bottle of Synthetic do? Grrr... Salespeople are complete idiots.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:16 AM

If the owner before me has changed oil to syntetic at 9.000 km, and I can feel that the engine isn

Quick Reply: Mobil Syntec at first oil change???