S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobil One Users

Old 12-21-2008, 05:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mobil One Users

What are your thoughts here?

Thread

Here's an article posted at Jobbers and it looks like Valvoline is calling out M/E on it's Katrina formulation of M1. If Valvoline has their facts right, the M1 oil is not meeting API specs and instead of paying a premium price and getting premium results, you'd be paying more but getting far less than any API SM oil out there....even the $.99 a qt stuff.

Valvoline Hold its Ground and Turns up the Heat
As reported in the July 24, 2008 issue of Jobbers World Online News, Valvoline launched a national advertising campaign that takes on competitor Mobil 1. The centerpiece of the campaign claim Valvoline SynPower has "four times better wear protection than Mobil 1."

According to Valvoline, the claim is based on the industry standard Sequence IVA test. The Sequence IVA is the industry standard test for determining wear performance of an engine oil and is required to meet the API SL and SM requirements. Multiple tests showed that Valvoline SynPower provided four times better wear protection than Mobil 1, as measured in these tests of 5W-30 grades.

ExxonMobil responded to the claim by saying it was "not aware of any accurate technical data to support the claim" and they requested Valvoline provide the "substantiating data to support this claim immediately."

Rather than backing down, Valvoline is holding its ground, and turns up the heat.

Marketers say the received a letter from Valvoline providing additional information and data to support Valvoline SynPower's significant performance advantage versus Mobil 1. In addition, marketers say the letter turns the table on ExxonMobil's challenge and Valvoline is now challenging ExxonMobil's claim for its Mobil 1 5W-30.

According to the letter, Valvoline says the company conducted a number of tests and commissioned an independent laboratory to evaluate the performance of SynPower and Mobil 1 in the Sequence IVA wear test. Marketers were told the tests were run on a 5W-30 since it's the top selling grade.

Now for the interesting part...

According to a letter Valvoline marketers received, the result from Valvoline's testing indicate:

* Valvoline SynPower's 5W-30 wear performance is at least four times better than Mobil 1 5W-30
* Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet minimum API SM or ILSAC GF-4 specification because of its inferior performance in the Sequence IVA wear test

The letter reportedly goes on to say that Valvoline notified ExxonMobil of the failed test results in September and that the company take appropriate action regarding their claim that Mobil 1 meets ILSAC GF-4 and API SM specifications, or provide substantiation that they in fact meet these specifications.

As of today, Valvoline told JobbersWorld, ExxonMobil has been silent.

Regardless, the independent testing PAID for by Valvoline shows it reduces wear by 4 times that of M1. All I can say is that M1 has not been turning in the lowest wear metals and frankly, can be beat by most any common dino oil. As most of you know, M1 is not a Gp IV base anymore and is a dino synthetic.
Mobils response:
http://www.jobbersworld.com/December%2018,%202008.htm
Sounds pretty limp wristed to me.
Here's the Sequence IVA test
http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/GasTest...st/default.htm
Old 12-21-2008, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!! Makes me want to rethink the oil I use.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:31 AM

" independent testing PAID for by Valvoline shows it reduces wear by 4 times that of M1"

hardly something I'd believe.

Oil is oil.. under normal conditions, it does not matter.

BMW and porche i believe use Mobile 1 exclusively.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Higher Fe readings on UOA's using Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30 have been demonstrated over and over again on the BITOG website. Heck, we've even seen it with the few UOA's we get posted here on s2ki. This report doesn't surprise me at all.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Dec 21 2008, 11:44 AM
Higher Fe readings on UOA's using Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30 have been demonstrated over and over again on the BITOG website. Heck, we've even seen it with the few UOA's we get posted here on s2ki. This report doesn't surprise me at all.
English please - Fe - UOA's

J
Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Mobil 1 Syn

Here is my UOA (used oil analysis) results.

Wear metals look good to me, did have a track day on it.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=621479
Use whatever, if you are wondering, get an oil analysis done.

I can run my car without a air filter and make any oil look bad.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Dec 21 2008, 07:44 AM
it's hit an miss, M1 produces somewhat higher (not excessive) wear metals on some occasions in some vehicles on BITOG, and about normal or less than normal in others....it's a good oil...the nebulous "four times better" claim based on one test (for 5w-30 only? which is known to be a substandard M1 product) is a crock of shit, I don't have any plans to discontinue use of M1, although I am going to try Amsoil 10w-30 in the S next time after slipstream preached about it for months
Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Paid for by valvoline or not. I dont think they would be calling out Mobile 1 without a good amount of evidence like that. Im curious to see what happens.

I personally have always used Valvoline synthetic myself. Never had any problems.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I buy the cheapest full synthetic at WMart and this year it is Valvoline.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Hmm...well this just gives me more of a reason to use castrol syntec...which I was gonna use anyway but it gives me less of feeling to try another oil. Where is the oil test where they tested top oils? that may help out the thread.

Quick Reply: Mobil One Users