S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobil 1 oil filter help please...

Old 02-25-2002, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 oil filter help please...

i did a search concerning non oem filters and found some good feedback on the mobil 1 filters. i went out and bought the mobil 1 (M1-105) now without removing my stock filter yet, it looked like the mobil filter was too wide. so i went to the dealer to compare the openings of both filters and the mobil filter was in fact wider. how will it fit? i know that the mobil 1 is supposed to be an oversized filter but i thougt it would be taller not wider. i still want a mobil 1 filter but can someone tell me what model to get? is there more than one kind of m1-105 or something? please help asap my car is way overdue for an oil change.
MIke
Old 02-25-2002, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are doing the oil change yourself, right? just pop the hood and see how it will appear to fit. even if it is oversized, you should be able to tell if its going to fit.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:34 PM

The Mobil1 M1-105 does fit just fine. You can remove and insall from above, if you wish. It does have a slightly larger oil capacity, so you'll wind up using 6 quarts of oil.

Ted
Old 12-04-2002, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you need a bigger oil filter wrench for the MB-105 than the Honda filter?
Old 12-04-2002, 06:22 PM

Wrench? Kung-fu grip, baby!

Actually, if someone finds a filter wrench that works well on the non-faceted M-105, let me know.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Tedster
Wrench? Kung-fu grip, baby!

Actually, if someone finds a filter wrench that works well on the non-faceted M-105, let me know.
Have you considered one of those rubber strap wrenches they sell at Sears or hardware stores. They market them as a household tool for removing jar lids and stuff like that. They are infinitely adjustable and I've seen a couple guys on here mentioning that they use these.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:07 PM

Yeah, that's what I keep thinking I'll get, but I haven't picked one up yet.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The MI-105 is oversized (wider diameter), but fits up with the oil filter boss fine and can be installed from the top. Meaning that the sealing 'O' ring mates up with the engine mounting surface and the threads are the same as stock.

The MI-104 filter is the stock replacement oil filter for S2000's and is what I'm using now. Several board members have had the MI-105 "loosen" up to the point of losing oil. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ighlight=MI-105 This happened to me at the track with the MI-105, so I'm done with that and am now using the MI-104 with no problems, yet!

I just tighten the filter by hand ~ 1 turn after the 'O' ring contacts the filter boss. Some guys suggest using rubber gloves or wrapping the filter with sandpaper for additional torque when tightening. No wrench needed, except when removing, sometimes. And then I use one of those plier type wrenches. Don't use this for installing because they have a tendency to dent the filter casing if you're not careful.

There was also some info out there that Honda uses the smaller filter on S2000's so that oil pressure was maintained during hard maneuvers. Don't know if that's true or not, just know that it is something that I read on the board, may be pure speculation.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Gloffer
I just tighten the filter by hand ~ 1 turn after the 'O' ring contacts the filter boss. Some guys suggest using rubber gloves or wrapping the filter with sandpaper for additional torque when tightening. No wrench needed, except when removing, sometimes. And then I use one of those plier type wrenches. Don't use this for installing because they have a tendency to dent the filter casing if you're not careful.
Are you guys nuts?! Just hand tight for the oil filter?!? Might as well hand tighten the drain plug! I remember the OEM filter needs 7/8ths of a turn after the O-ring contacts the filter boss. I can't do that by hand. Maybe I need to work out more...
Old 12-05-2002, 08:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by DJ Qube
Maybe I need to work out more...
Don't sweat it, man. I can only get mine (Purolator) on to about 6.5/8 of a turn. It has always required a wrench to take off. I've heard about the one Mobil 1 filter loosening too but that may just be the nature of that rubber ring and how it's seated.
The thing is, an oil filter is not like a drain plug. The oil filter's rubber ring (if you oil it before putting it on the car) will expand over time and with engine heat. It naturally gets tighter.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 oil filter help please...