S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobil 1 5w-30 EP

Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 14 2008, 03:31 PM
It's like talking to a cat...
?

What is your fascination with Amsoil? It's like they are paying you off or something. If I'm a cat, you're their parasite.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=2007 Zx-10,Aug 14 2008, 05:34 PM]
?

What is your fascination with Amsoil?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 14 2008, 03:46 PM
Your argument was flimsy and I have proved my point with supported facts (which, by the way - is what this site is all about).
Ok, at this point you're just a pompous ass. This thread was never intended to be an argument, I was simply soliciting opinions. You're the arrogant know-it-all who proclaims Amsoil 10w-30 is the best oil, period, when the fact is all you know is what you've read on their site, you haven't seen a direct comparison test to Motul or Repsol, for example. Take your patronizing bullshit and Amsoil religious fervor elsewhere.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...1211150&fpart=4

"The 4-ball test (ASTM D4172) is often used as a screening test for many different lubricant types that contain antiwear additives or similar base oil properties. Other tribo-mechanical bench tests are often used as well, including the Timken Test (ASTM D2782) and the Pin and V-Block (ASTM D2670). Because engines have different contact geometry, loads, metallurgy and speeds, numerous bench tests and test protocols are needed. It is not uncommon for several oils to be tested using two such methods and to find that the performance rankings between the oils to reverse (no correlation). This is why, among other reasons, Passenger Car Motor Oils and Heavy Duty Oils (diesel crankcase) are tested in actual engines using controlled methods such as ASTM D5533 Sequence IIIE and D5302 Sequence VE."

Jim Fitch, Noria Corporation

hmmmm...I believe Mr. Fitch knows just a little more about oil analysis than an internet pundit like you
Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slip, I can't seem to let go of this topic.

took one look at the bearing damage and was able to determine that the lubrication was the problem
A skill that is almost unbelievable. In fact it is unbelievable.

Amsoil only requires you have an expert document the issue and to send the part in question to Amsoil with the oil from the failed part. They have experts on staff that analyze the data from the experts that examined the failure initially, examine the component in question for damage, and send the oil from the component for thorough analysis. If it looks like the part was damaged due to an oil related failure, they WILL pay to repair or replace the component.
And yet they have never paid a claim? Please!

It's actually not hard to prove an oil related failure
Not true. with a failed part you must show that the part failed because of the lube and not because of a malfunction in a now destroyed part. Example - let's see---- did this part fail because of this broken seal----this broken gear--- or the ckacked case--- hard to tell.

Here's the bottom line: while you may not believe in the tests used to benchmark oil with - the industries that engineer and design, test, benchmark, and make any qualitative requirement USE them as the ONLY way to benchmark oil. If an oil performs well on these tests - IT WILL PERFORM WELL IN YOUR ENGINE
I don't really disagree with most of this. Except with the idea that benck mark tests are the ONLY WAY to prove the quality of an oil. The step you are missing is to put the oil in an engine and test the result. I don't have the energy to look this up (volumes of data are available) but I don't think you'll dispute the fact that any of the highest quality oils pass this test very well.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 PM

If your favorite oil doesn't measure up you have two choices - choose to use a better oil - or be happy using the one you're using now. However, don't try to distort or misrepresent the facts in order to bolster your argument
I think this is very good advice. I suggest that you let the quality of Amsoil stand for itself. The arguments that you continue to use just muddy the water.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 PM

Lightbulb

Amsoil motor oils are better oil than any oil offered by Mobil today or in the past. That's been shown in industry standardized tests over and over for the last 36 years.
There you go again.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 14 2008, 02:53 PM
Nope, I said from the beginning I think Amsoil makes a good product, but the hype turns me off. I value everyone's opinion here, and it's an interesting discussion, but I don't think there is a significant difference in real world performance of Mobil1 EP vs. Amsoil, based on what has been presented
Exactly the point I am trying to make also.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Doktor-Freud,Aug 14 2008, 07:55 PM] I don't really disagree with most of this.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM

What started as a reasonable question by a new community member turned into an unappealing and unhelpful pissing contest. As I'm sure that 2007 Zx-10 and Slip would agree - I am sorry it went this way.

Weird thing is, I still think Amsoil make a real fine oil.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

It's all good, I always learn from these debates. What immediately gets my back up is platitudes like "best oil - period"

How many people in Europe use Amsoil vs. Repsol or Motul? Amsoil is so damn good, right? Those ubiquitous Amsoil internet four ball wear ads sure are convincing

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 5w-30 EP