S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobil 1 5w-30 EP

Old 08-15-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 15 2008, 06:28 PM
No, the problem is you don't read, you just keep repeating the same tired rhetroic. I posted the following from a lubrication consultant

"The 4-ball test (ASTM D4172) is often used as a screening test for many different lubricant types that contain antiwear additives or similar base oil properties. Other tribo-mechanical bench tests are often used as well, including the Timken Test (ASTM D2782) and the Pin and V-Block (ASTM D2670). Because engines have different contact geometry, loads, metallurgy and speeds, numerous bench tests and test protocols are needed. It is not uncommon for several oils to be tested using two such methods and to find that the performance rankings between the oils to reverse (no correlation). This is why, among other reasons, Passenger Car Motor Oils and Heavy Duty Oils (diesel crankcase) are tested in actual engines using controlled methods such as ASTM D5533 Sequence IIIE and D5302 Sequence VE."

Jim Fitch, Noria Corporation

I'm quite sure neither you or anyone else on this board had even heard of those ASTM methods! That isn't "Mobil 1 propaganda", it's fact. There is no such thing as a definitive test or series of tests that resolve the question of "best oil", it's just not that simple! You can keep on believing Amsoil 10w-30 is the best oil in the whole wide world and tell all your friends the same thing, but at the end of the day it's meaningless blather. The guy using Motul 300V, Respol, or Mobil 1 EP will go up against you in any real world engine endurance test and do just as well, if not better.
One again - you focus on the four ball test (back to your one test does NOT make an oil) - and yes, there are SEVERAL tests - ALL INDUSTRY STANDARDIZED TESTS - where Amsoil easily crushes Mobil 1 and all other oils listed on all of them.
I found a few other websites that posted real world results showing Amsoil performed better in the lab and in the engine.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 15 2008, 06:19 PM
ALL INDUSTRY STANDARDIZED TESTS - where Amsoil easily crushes Mobil 1 and all other oils listed on all of them.
The IC engine isn't a bench test, Amsoil lover....maybe you'll figure it out someday...in the meantime I'm keep happily my vehicles with Mobil 1

oh and btw, before it was Mobil 1 EP is a good oil, now Amsoil "crushes" everything...can you be any more full of shit?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=2007 Zx-10,Aug 15 2008, 06:36 PM] I really enjoy seeing how Amsoil compares to this http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/4s.../4stroke05.html in a track car, that is, run it for a couple seasons and compare notes at tear-down.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 15 2008, 11:13 PM
The IC engine isn't a bench test, Amsoil lover....maybe you'll figure it out someday...in the meantime I'm keep happily my vehicles with Mobil 1

oh and btw, before it was Mobil 1 EP is a good oil, now Amsoil "crushes" everything...can you be any more full of shit?
Ya crushed is a little over the top. Mobil 1 EP - as I've stated before - is not a bad oil.
You would think though that Mobil 1 with all their money would be able to easilly produce an oil that performs equally as well, or better than Amsoil - and at a lower cost to you and me.

I would be using it if they did. I would eat humble pie and post pictures of me pouring those glorious bottles of Mobil 1 EP into my S2000's engine for all to see. I promise you that.
I'm actually NOT as big a fan of Amsoil as I used to be because I've only seen their prices go up (which is not the main problem, and was to be expected), and the quality of the characteristics of a number of their oils go down - which does not make me happy.
The only oil currently produced by them that has not decreased in quality so far is the 10W30. Hopefully, this does not change.
However, I fear the trends seen in some of their other weights could cascade to their 10W30 eventually - namely an increase in volatility.
I actually have been looking around at the market for the past two years looking for another oil to "convert" to if Amsoil cheapens their 10W30. So far, no other oil on the market has met my expectations - especially for the price. But, I have been pleasantly surprised by the improving qualites produced in Mobil 1 EP - AS SEEN IN AMSOILS TESTS no less.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't post looking for useful or truthful information, you only wanted to hear from other Mobil 1 users, have a cumbaya and some high fives when you all get together and tell each other how smart you are for all using the same oil.
Slip, you are just being ignorant here.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 PM

I pointed out industry standardized information that shows why Amsoil 10W30 is currently the best 10W30 available on the U.S. market. Currently there are no other oils on the U.S. market that have shown better performance on these standardized tests, otherwise - I'd be considering them for use in my car
This is what you keep calling proof. It is not proof. There are people who don't sgree with you not because we are stupid but because we don't agree with you.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to to street or race an oil to gather some meaningful conclusions. Put a bearing on a high speed drill and submerse it in the oil to be tested. Calibration and sameness of surfaces and bearings would have to be standardized .This is not my idea, I saw this actually being done in some car rag several years ago.
It would be nice if someone here who actually had the expertise ,equipment and the time and the little bit of money for the bearings to actually do this and report back to the furum their results.
On the other hand, this seems like it might be over-kill because of the superior oils we have on the market today. Let yourself get comfortable with any name brand (dino or syn) and learn to relax. That what I did.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 PM

I have seen no information from Motul or Repsol demonstrating their characteristics on any of the standardized tests.
Doesn't this tell you something? Again, what you call proof is a marketing campaign that is targeted at suspicious and obsessive conspiracy therorists. Info is fed to "independent" dealers who preach oil as if it were word of God.

You don't seem to hear this but I will repeat. It's a fine oil. Your zealous, dogmatic rhetoric is less fine.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:17 PM

Use whatever oil you want. Once again, no one here cares.
So now you think you speak for the group. Seems a bit Narcisistic.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 PM

But don't get pissed off when you're position about that oil is challenged and you can't defend yourself.
Well, my position is that Amsoil is a fine oil. Are you challenging that? Do you need it to be best?

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 5w-30 EP