S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobil 1 5w-30 EP

Old 08-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 5w-30 EP

Is what I'm running in my AP2 right now. I've heard some members mention increased oil consumption with thinner oils, but so far I haven't noticed it. I found it interesting that the measured viscosity at 100 C is almost identical to the 10w-30, but lower at 40 C. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS...Performance.asp
Reportedly Amsoil is bashing this oil as causing accelerated wear?
Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 PM

10w30 ep mobil 1 is pretty good oil,

i used to use that, now switched to amsoil 10w30 atm synthetic,

reports show awsome wear on the 4 ball test
Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 8 2008, 10:21 AM
Reportedly Amsoil is bashing this oil as causing accelerated wear?
I don't know where you got that from.
Amsoil hasn't "bashed" any oil - they only post test data from independent labs. If an oil shows a higher level of wear - that's because that's what the tests showed. They point out where Amsoil outperforms other oils and that in no way is "bashing".
Bashing would be if one company came out and said another oil "sucked", but provided no facts or data to support the "sucks" claim.

Amsoil performs better that any other oil currently available in the U.S. when it comes to wear protection, as well as several other major benchmarks for oil. Amsoil 10W30 is in fact the best 10W30 currently available - period.
When it comes to 5W30s: Redline 5W30 performs better than Amsoil 5W30 in the NOACK volatility ratings.

There is no real benefit from using a 5W30 in the summer time. I can understand using it in colder temperatures during the winter months, but not in the summer.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by tlee1234,Aug 8 2008, 03:47 PM
10w30 ep mobil 1 is pretty good oil,

i used to use that, now switched to amsoil 10w30 atm synthetic,

reports show awsome wear on the 4 ball test
Awesome across the board my friend
Amsoil 10W30 is what I use.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 8 2008, 04:37 PM
I don't know where you got that from.
Amsoil hasn't "bashed" any oil - they only post test data from independent labs. If an oil shows a higher level of wear - that's because that's what the tests showed. They point out where Amsoil outperforms other oils and that in no way is "bashing".
Bashing would be if one company came out and said another oil "sucked", but provided no facts or data to support the "sucks" claim.

Amsoil performs better that any other oil currently available in the U.S. when it comes to wear protection, as well as several other major benchmarks for oil. Amsoil 10W30 is in fact the best 10W30 currently available - period.
When it comes to 5W30s: Redline 5W30 performs better than Amsoil 5W30 in the NOACK volatility ratings.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/...ngine_Wear.aspx

you sound like a sales rep for Amsoil with the "best oil, period" rhetoric, btw...as Mobil says on the site, gimmicky tests like four ball wear, etc are not the be-all, end-all of oil performance, relative to real world engine tests...Amsoil is a very good oil, but the hype really turns me off
Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just switched to Amsoil 10w30......to tell you the truth I did noe expect any miracles, but I was pleasantly surprised when my walvertain and chain noise decreased to a minimum.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Banned

I noticed a similar effect when I switched from Mobil 1 from regular Honda brand dino oil (dealer serviced)...hey, I'll try the Amosil, I've used their products before, but I also know a ton of racers who use Mobil 1 and swear by it, so subjective opinions and bench tests only go so far
Old 08-09-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 8 2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/...ngine_Wear.aspx

you sound like a sales rep for Amsoil with the "best oil, period" rhetoric, btw...as Mobil says on the site, gimmicky tests like four ball wear, etc are not the be-all, end-all of oil performance, relative to real world engine tests...Amsoil is a very good oil, but the hype really turns me off
That's an easy statement to make because there is NO end-all or be-all test for oil performance. That's why you have to look at the entire picture: wear protection, volatility, TBN, shear numbers... and so on. When you do that, and add in other factors that may affect your choice in oils - like price, you can make an eduacated decision.
Based on all that - and by a good margin - Amsoil ATM is by far the best 10W30 oil CURRENTLY available on the market. That's why I use it. Amsoil used to make the best 5W30 as well - but adjusted the formula such that the NOACK volatility numbers are not that much better than other synthetic 5W30s on the market - it's still better than most when it comes to wear - but not significantly better in the volatility department. That's why I have elevated Redline's 5W30 over Amsoil's 5W30, because the increase in cost of the Redline is offset by the volatility numbers - that and I'm a little miffed Amsoil "cheapened" their 5W30.
With that being said, Amsoil's 5W30 is better than any 5W30 currently offered by Mobil - including their EP Mobil 1.
However, if you have read any of my posts regarding oil in the past - you'll find that I have posted positive information about Mobil 1 EP. I think standard Mobil 1 is a huge waste of money and it provides no real advantage over conventional oil. In fact, the only advantage to using standard Mobil 1 is it flows much better than conventional oil at extremely cold temperatures - other than that, there are a lot of conventional oils that outperform standard Mobil 1 in different benchmark areas. Mobil 1 EP is a much better oil than standard Mobil 1 in almost every respect. However, Mobil 1 EP is only slightly less expensive than Amsoil when you buy it in bulk at Sams or Walmart. Amsoil outperforms ALL Mobil oils, including Mobil 1 EP, and IMHO is more than worth the price difference.
However, if you're one of those that for whatever reason can't bring themselves to buy online and have the oil delivered to you (I don't get this - especially with the price of gas), and NEED to pull it off the shelf of your favorite store, then I have said several times that Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil Platinum are reasonable alternatives to Amsoil - not as good as Amsoil, but overall decent oils.
You can take the Oprah approach to motor oils and use what makes you "happy", or do the research and use an oil that performs the best - Amsoil 10W30 currently outperforms all other 10W30 motor oils available in the U.S. in ALL tests (that so happen to be industry standardized tests ). When that changes - I'll consider changing my brand.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Banned

it's hard to find an objective comparison of these oils anymore because every web link connects to more Amsoil hype

however, the testing Sport Rider magazine did a few years ago was very interesting...the editor picked Motul 300V...yes, it's for bikes, but still an interesting read and I haven't seen many comprehensive comparison tests like this
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/index.html

I'd also venture to say 99.9% of S2000 owners who don't track the car won't notice any difference in engine wear or performance over the period of time they own the car running Mobil 1 EP vs. Amsoil
Old 08-10-2008, 12:05 AM

amsoil!

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 5w-30 EP