S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mobil 1 10w30

Old 09-27-2003, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 10w30

Is Mobil 1 10w30 a group III or group IV product?
Old 09-27-2003, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, it is a highly advanced GIII Maybe a 3.5. It consists of a variety of synthetics, but the bulk is hydrowax, with some PAO and I believe a trace of ester.

Like other companies, they cheapened down their product after the Syntec fiasco lowered the bar for everyone - that is one reason they have gone away from extended drain intervals, which were 25k when M1 debuted in the 1970's!

Now, that is not to say it is not a terrific oil - it is. If you trace race, consider the 5w40 version. Mobil, like many toher oil companies, has been lowering the vis of its oils way down to the lower end of the 30 weight spectrum. In oils like Amsoil full syn (not the XL7500) and Red Line, the combo of full vis and expensive additives gives an edge.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Road Rage Like other companies, they cheapened down their product after the Syntec fiasco lowered the bar for everyone - that is one reason they have gone away from extended drain intervals, which were 25k when M1 debuted in the 1970's!
Since this has probably been described in detail somewhere else (I haven't seen it), could you give me a short synopsis of this?

My most recent analysis of Mobil 1 (SuperSyn) seems to show noticeable improvement. I was there when they introduced Mobil 1 in the late '70s and remember the 25k mile claims. The real question is whether there was *ever* a reality that allowed this usage. I never had a problem but never put on 25k so I changed it once per year, changing filters at 5k miles. Since I've had the S I've been analyzing the oil with every change to get a better picture.

Old 09-27-2003, 03:54 PM

I interpret this as follows:

The tri-syn (previous formulation, GIV):
+ had higher zinc and moly
+ had higher calcium
+ had higher detergency (TBN)

All of these +'s indicate a better formulation, and the larger TBN (my last analysis of Mobil1 showed it to be at about 5.0, not 8.0) provides for extended drain intervals.

I am hard-pressed to see how supersyn is an improvement, when the formulation indicators associated with highest performance lubrication are all trended down.

BTW, the reduction in zinc and phosphorous were at the behest of the car companies, because they were concerned that phosphorous over time would eat their catalytics, which they have to cover up to 100k miles now. So the zinc and phisphorous, two of the most effective antiwear compounds ever put into engine oil, were reduced to benefit whom? The car company or the car owner? Hmmm....good ol' API, bending over for the big guys.

Now, there have been other additives (including amines) added to offset the diminished wear capability when zinc and phosphorous levels were dropped, but the jury is still out whether they meet the old standards.

It is your car - are you content with good enough, and do you care more about an engine (big $$$) or a cat. Think about it.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you missed the dates in the headers of the columns - the new stuff (SuperSyn) is on the left. Basically, read it from right to left to get the history.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:57 AM

Jeff,
I have been using SuperSyn and changing every 6-8K - my mileage is similar to yours. I don't do any racing, so based on your data above, I believe I will try 10K on the oil that is in there and then have it tested. I have a kit from Blackstone sitting here waiting for it.

Thanks for posting your results.
john
Old 09-28-2003, 01:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
I think you missed the dates in the headers of the columns - the new stuff (SuperSyn) is on the left.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:35 AM

Road Rage:

On a related issue.... Is Mobil 1 Diff oil of the same quality as their motor oil or does it meet a higher standard equivalent of an Amsoil or Redline?
Old 10-01-2003, 03:17 PM

The diff oil is also a combo of fluids, but primarily PAO like Amsoil. It does not contain the polyol esters of Red Line.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:44 AM

Sounds like Red Line would be the "best" for our differentials?
Is Red Line MT90 the best synthetic for our transmissions?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 10w30