S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misshift question.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misshift question.

So im on the highway with my friends when i go WOT then shift from 4th to 5th. When i miss shift. I press the clutch in and its still redlining and i had to take it outof gear to drop the revs down. So after that i slowed down and went to he car wash. Chilled there and tried to started it and it grinded big time. It wasnt started grind but sounded like my flywheel grinded big time. I checked the oil and no metal and was good. I was wondering if anyone had this problem before? Im prolly taking my car to t1 so i can get the clutch and flywheel replaced.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:00 PM

Sounds kinda like an issue I've been having recently. If you pushed the clutch and the rpm's didn't drop quickly, then the clutch didn't disengage. Could be a bad master or slave cylinder, or even a rusty spline gear.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=825180

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 PM

thanks. so far from what people have told me is i am going to replace the starter first. then if that doesn't fix it im going to have to replace the flywheel and clutch. im not saying the clutch is bad but since the tranny will be down i might as well do it. its wierd that a miss shift would cause this. i mean because i have miss shifted before and nothing like this ever happened.

anymore feedback would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Why would you replace teh clutch if the motor won't start?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by MasterForce,Oct 24 2010, 04:28 PM
shift from 4th to 5th.
How is that a misshift?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k_MoZo,Oct 25 2010, 10:58 AM
How is that a misshift?
lol Thats what I was thinking...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM

a misshift can be downshift or upshift. usually a misshift means you went to the wrong gear but in my case i went into 5th and grinded. which means i missed 5th...
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Okay, I think now I kind of understand.

So, from what you are saying is...you tried to go from 4th to 5th and you didn't get in 5th properly and let clutch out? I am sorry but I am trying to understand the problem as to what exactly happened.

If you grinded going into 5th, wouldn't that mean it's more internal tranny issue/grind than clutch or flywheel? I've grinded a few times here and there, specially in my old AP1 going in 2nd but never had a major issue with it.

Grinding occurs usually in normal cases due to fluids. If you have dirty/low/bad clutch fluid or your master is sticking/leaking and stuff like that.
I might be wrong and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but if it was just a regular grind, it should not create any bigger issues?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 AM

well when i felt 5th gear grind i pushed my clutch pedal in to disengage the clutch. well it didnt disengage and it was kinda stuck. i had to push it out of 5th. by the time i did this i redlined for about 3 full secs. my clutch felt very soft afterward though. all gears went in normal though when i was on the highway. the gears also went normal while the car is off and the clutch is depressed. as of right now i am thinking it is the flywheel which has broken and/or missing teeth which is why my car wont start because the starter isnt grabbing the teeth. the thing is you cant really do a visual inspection of the flywheel and clutch. so if im going to have that inspected i might as well change it out since its already down. even though i am pretty sure its the flywheel which is done.

one good thing tho is that i went from 4th to 5th at around 7500 rpms. so i am sure i didnt do a mechanical overev more like hitting fuel cut. thats why im not worried about engine wise things right now. i will see if i can post a vid later when i get off work.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:57 PM

flywheel teeth isnt affected by a misshift..

Quick Reply: Misshift question.