S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

misshift

Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davemeister,Sep 11 2008, 06:25 AM
On the '08, there would be a CEL on an overrev.

So, if the car didn't throw the CEL, why suspect it was overreved?
because i had said it was an over rev. i miss shifted. might want to read the whole thread.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Sep 11 2008, 12:52 AM
Running "normally" shouldn't be an "I guess" issue.
Does it idle normally (or roughly)? Does it rev smoothly (or hesitate)? Is there any indication of loss of performance?
Your valves could still be bent slightly and the car will run. Obviously, the more the valves are bent, the more noticeable the issue. Slightly bent valves will show up on a leak down test.
it doesnt idle rough at all. it revs smoothly. i dont feel like theres a loss of power. im debating whether i should bring it into a independent shop or just go to my dealer and have it sit there if there is damage.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roflitzjinno,Sep 11 2008, 07:57 AM
it doesnt idle rough at all. it revs smoothly. i dont feel like theres a loss of power. im debating whether i should bring it into a independent shop or just go to my dealer and have it sit there if there is damage.
A leak down test can be done by most shops. I wouldn't have your average bubba touch your car though.
Taking it to the Honda dealership will answer a lot of questions for you. Taking the stance that you aren't sure if you over-revved it (emphasis on mechanical over-rev) gives you even ground to stand on. The dealership will then check the ECU to see if you're car actually over-revved or not. If the ECU doesn't show an over-rev - then every thing is most likely fine. Even if the ECU shows a mechanical over-rev, it may not be high enough to worry about. Unplugging the battery to clear the ECU was actually not a good idea at all. The ECU logs things like that - and the techs know exactly what's up - they're not stupid.

I know you're worried about voiding your warranty, but trust me - if you're car's engine fails because of your suspected over-rev, Honda will figure it out in short order and will not cover it - it's a sure way to ensure you're not covered. They will take the stance that you should have brought it in right after the incident and they may have been able to work with you.
Come clean and have their S2000 tech check it out. Honda has been known to take care of customers even when the problem was not Honda's fault - simply because the customer came clean and was proactive in getting the car checked out. If you try to game it - Honda will take the defensive position and you will ultimately loose. If they call you on the fact you disconnected the battery to attempt to clear the ECU - come clean on that too.

If you drop a valve right now - Honda will absolutely not honor the warranty. A mechanical over-rev related failure is easy to identify and is considered "abuse".
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 AM

im am sitting at the dealership right now. they told me they are going to do a compression test and if everything is fine theyre going to let it be and let me drive off? i asked them to check the retainers and valves if anything is damaged and they said if theres no compression leak then i should be fine. i did confess up to over revving and explained what gear and speed i was at. i didnt reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery, i had taken out the back up amp from the fuse box under the steering wheel? now i am just waiting to hear what is the word on my car. thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 AM

i just got my compression/leak down test and they said everything is fine. all cylinders are at 220 psi. and everything is in good shape. they said the ecu didnt throw any codes or anything out of the ordinary. so i guess i have peace of mind that the car is fine. but im still listening for anything out of the place. i guess no more race driving for me.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just learn your limit, and take steps to increase your abilites. There are many track courses, auto-x days, etc... that will help you become a better driver and as long as you dont push beyond YOUR limit, the car will be fine.

The car is WAY beyond my abilities right now. But I am trying to fix that
Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 AM

yeah def good advice. im going to take the time to learn the car and not taking it out of my limits.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:23 PM

My .02

http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm
Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Oh, and if you pull it into the wrong gear (you can feel it if you are paying attention), just don't let the clutch out and put the shifter back in neutral and select the right gear.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by roflitzjinno,Sep 11 2008, 09:55 AM
because i had said it was an over rev. i miss shifted. might want to read the whole thread.
Wow, that sounds kind of a jackass comment to make to someone who was honestly trying to help you.

I did read the whole thread, including the part where people asked if you had a CEL, and you said you did not have a CEL.

So if you had no CEL, you did not over-rev, no matter whether "you said" you did or not.

Which your trip to the dealer just confirmed. You let the clutch out in too low a gear for the speed you were traveling, which COULD have caused a mechanical overrev, but did not, and if it had, would have thrown an overrev code which would have turned on the CEL.

Quick Reply: misshift