S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

misshift

Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Sep 10 2008, 02:16 PM
I tried to read through all the mess for the important information - if you didn't already say so... was the car running "normally" after the mis-shift and/or did you thow a CEL with the event?

Resetting the ECU will likely not erase an over-rev event from the ECU of a DBW AP2.

If the car was running "normally" and you didn't throw a CEL, the damage may not be as bad as you think.

You will bend the exhaust valves before you'll crack retainers in an AP2. However, if you bent the exhaust valves, the chances are good that you cracked intake retainers as well.

I'd get the car checked out before attempting to start it again - IOW: have it towed to the dealership.
Don't try and game the warranty - you screwed up and it's not Honda's responsibility to pay for the repair. Trying to get Honda to fix it by not being honest only drives up cost to every one else.

http://www.turnzero.com/technical_resource...gear_calculator
this is a good calculator to determine the results from an over-rev.

If your car actually went into first and the clutch didn't slip - your engine would have completely come apart. The CDV in all likelyhood saved your engine by preventing the clutch from fully engaging and revving the engine apart.

Finally a sensible reply.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now you guys are scaring me... i was on the freeway racing my friend and i accidentally went to 2nd gear instead of 4th gear.. but i caught it after about 2 seconds... i pressed the clutch in as a scared reaction... that was a little over a month ago and my car has been fine... hopefully my car will hold till i get my valve springs and retainers.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Sep 10 2008, 05:16 PM
I tried to read through all the mess for the important information - if you didn't already say so... was the car running "normally" after the mis-shift and/or did you thow a CEL with the event?

Resetting the ECU will likely not erase an over-rev event from the ECU of a DBW AP2.

If the car was running "normally" and you didn't throw a CEL, the damage may not be as bad as you think.

You will bend the exhaust valves before you'll crack retainers in an AP2. However, if you bent the exhaust valves, the chances are good that you cracked intake retainers as well.

I'd get the car checked out before attempting to start it again - IOW: have it towed to the dealership.
Don't try and game the warranty - you screwed up and it's not Honda's responsibility to pay for the repair. Trying to get Honda to fix it by not being honest only drives up cost to every one else.

http://www.turnzero.com/technical_resource...gear_calculator
this is a good calculator to determine the results from an over-rev.

If your car actually went into first and the clutch didn't slip - your engine would have completely come apart. The CDV in all likelyhood saved your engine by preventing the clutch from fully engaging and revving the engine apart.
the car was running normally i guess. it depends on what you mean by normally. the car DID NOT throw a cel. i understand that resetting the ecu will not erase the over rev. yeah im just worried about the car. obviously a poor driving mistake.

to be honest i drove the car today because i had to go to school. i am actually going to a shop to have everything checked out next week.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 PM

Unless you're at the track, you don't really need to rush a shift, let alone at redline.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_ed,Sep 10 2008, 06:39 PM
now you guys are scaring me... i was on the freeway racing my friend and i accidentally went to 2nd gear instead of 4th gear.. but i caught it after about 2 seconds... i pressed the clutch in as a scared reaction... that was a little over a month ago and my car has been fine... hopefully my car will hold till i get my valve springs and retainers.
Two seconds is a loooong time...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_ed,Sep 10 2008, 05:39 PM
The "I was trying to hit 4th but went into 2nd by accident (from redline in 3rd)" is the typical AP1 retainer cracking money shift. The AP1 will crack intake retainers (with no apparent symptoms) before anything will bend.
If your AP1's engine see's anything much over 10,100ish - you likely have cracked intake retainers.
The cracks could be minimal and won't cause a dropped valve for 20,000 miles, or the cracks are significant and you could drop a valve tomorrow. The only way to be sure is to pull the valve cover and carefully inspect the retainers. If there is any indication of "dishing" (the cotters and the valve stem look "lower" in the retainer) - you have retainers and cotters that need replacing - immediately!
One dropped valve is pretty much the end of that engine. Billman250 has posted tons of pictures of cracked retainers and how to identify them on this site.

I had my intake retainers replaced with AP2 retainers as a precaution due to an over-rev. I had gone 25,000 miles since the over-rev with no problems - but frequent inspections. I just got tired of worrying and had them replaced. My retainers has circular hairline surface tension marks, but didn't show the classic radial cracks. Billman250 is by far one of the best S2000 mechanics in the U.S.
I drove up to Long Island from Florida to have him do the work. His prices are very reasonable. Outstanding mechanic and tech, and one hell of an automobile driver as well. If you have the time and cash - it's worth the trip.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roflitzjinno,Sep 10 2008, 05:53 PM
the car was running normally i guess. it depends on what you mean by normally. the car DID NOT throw a cel. i understand that resetting the ecu will not erase the over rev. yeah im just worried about the car. obviously a poor driving mistake.

to be honest i drove the car today because i had to go to school. i am actually going to a shop to have everything checked out next week.
Running "normally" shouldn't be an "I guess" issue.
Does it idle normally (or roughly)? Does it rev smoothly (or hesitate)? Is there any indication of loss of performance?
Your valves could still be bent slightly and the car will run. Obviously, the more the valves are bent, the more noticeable the issue. Slightly bent valves will show up on a leak down test.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 PM

Like centralcoastbuc said, it is very hard to get it into first gear going that fast....you must have really slammed it in. Good luck man
Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Sep 10 2008, 07:19 PM
Two seconds is a loooong time...
So can you just imagine how much longer 5 seconds is? (OP's dilemma)
Old 09-11-2008, 03:25 AM

On the '08, there would be a CEL on an overrev.

So, if the car didn't throw the CEL, why suspect it was overreved?

Quick Reply: misshift