S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

misshift

Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You may have a cracked retainer just itching to drop a valve. Stop driving it.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hide the keys now so you aren't tempted to drive it. Find some of Billman's posts about sunken retainers (stretching at the keepers) after an over-rev. The best posts have pictures of the inspection that show the damaged retainers compared to undamaged ones. Do some research and find out what you can from Billman's posts. This way you will KNOW for sure what the failure mode is. Print out the posts and bring copies with you to show to your most trusted independent mechanic. Get the mechanic to do the visual inspection of the retainers. If the visual inspection looks OK, I would also have the mechanic perform compression and leakdown checks for insurance.

You just raped a new expensive engine. Treat her nice now to avoid expensive payback.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:32 AM

symptoms of a severe mechanical over-rev don't always show up right away. the car may idle fine, make no unusual noises, etc but the results of the over-rev may occur many miles or years down the road. you might have a small crack in a retainer and over time..that small crack may lead to a completely failed retainer.

as i stated earlier...AP2 retainers are a bit stronger than AP1 retainers so you MIGHT have lucked out. get the car checked out for your piece of mind and as someone else mentioned...don't turn a $500 into a $5000 job

-a
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 AM

oh and just out of curiousity..you have a 2008..and how many miles do you have on the car?

-a
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 AM

it will be very hard to get into 1st gear afterwards
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop driving it immediately, and get it checked out ASAP.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Mis-shifting just

but seriously that really sux
Old 09-10-2008, 01:53 PM

Sorry to hear that. Not trying to be a dick, but how do go from 2nd under full load to 1st? You had to have applied some serious force to get it into 1st.

Get it to a mechanic or at some point down the road you will hear BOOM!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had hit 3800 today. i do plan on getting it to a mechanic when i get paid next week. for me to stop driving it, i cant really do that considering i have to go to school and work. i hope nothing is seriously wrong.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried to read through all the mess for the important information - if you didn't already say so... was the car running "normally" after the mis-shift and/or did you thow a CEL with the event?

Resetting the ECU will likely not erase an over-rev event from the ECU of a DBW AP2.

If the car was running "normally" and you didn't throw a CEL, the damage may not be as bad as you think.

You will bend the exhaust valves before you'll crack retainers in an AP2. However, if you bent the exhaust valves, the chances are good that you cracked intake retainers as well.

I'd get the car checked out before attempting to start it again - IOW: have it towed to the dealership.
Don't try and game the warranty - you screwed up and it's not Honda's responsibility to pay for the repair. Trying to get Honda to fix it by not being honest only drives up cost to every one else.

http://www.turnzero.com/technical_resource...gear_calculator
this is a good calculator to determine the results from an over-rev.

If your car actually went into first and the clutch didn't slip - your engine would have completely come apart. The CDV in all likelyhood saved your engine by preventing the clutch from fully engaging and revving the engine apart.

Quick Reply: misshift