S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

misshift

Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so im guessing its very hard to say if or when i will be experiencing any problems correct? im resetting my ecu as we speak. does swapping out the ecu prevent honda from seeing that i had over revved? or where would this kind of information be stored?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they will be able to tell, because of the damaage, that you over reved the piss out of it.

Which you did.

Mechanics arent stupid. The tell tale signs will be there and the mechanic will make his recomendations to Honda.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume everyone is talking about cracked or broken retainers? Since this is a possibility, I'd take the car to in independent garage for an inspection. If the retainers are shot, bite the bullit and pay for the repairs yourself. Don't know how you'll ever escape the info stored in the ECU but all other problems that can't be traced to an overrev should remain under warranty. Good luck
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by roflitzjinno,Sep 10 2008, 08:57 AM
so im guessing its very hard to say if or when i will be experiencing any problems correct? im resetting my ecu as we speak. does swapping out the ecu prevent honda from seeing that i had over revved? or where would this kind of information be stored?
by resetting your ECU...you may have damaged it. the newer AP2's have a "learning" ECU that still functions running diagnostics up to 20 minutes after you shut the car off. so hopefully you did that long after you shut the car off. and reseting the ECU doesn't always clear any codes or data thats been logged.

and quite frankly...like mentioned previously..when the tech does the valvetrain inspection symptoms and signs of a mechanical over-rev will be apparent...so don't expect honda to cover it under warranty. remember...warranties are for manufacturer defects. on VERY rare occasions you may catch the dealer in a good mood and say it will be covered under warranty

-a
Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 AM

i had reset the ecu after i got home from school today around 930am. the over rev had happened last night around 940pm. yeah im just paranoid since im paying it out of my pocket. does anyone know if insurance covers things like this? probably have to read my policy? anyone know what the price of repairing the retainers if they are damaged?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 AM

Parts are nothing and labor shouldn't be too bad. As long as the mech doesn't have to remove the head to replace bent valves. Did your car run alright after the over rev?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 AM

Ouch. Honestly, you need to get your car to a mechanic ASAP. Its all guess work over the internet. If you over reved your car that bad, you might have retainer damage, bent valves, piston damage...etc

Any check engine light yet? Any weird noises from the engine?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 AM

car is running fine. no noise that i can determine from idling or daily driving. no cel. im just getting a whine from the diff i believe when i engine brake? as said before it might be a placebo effect because im listening more and more now that im paranoid.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 AM

I would stop driving the car until a mechanic looks at it. You might turn a $500 job into a $5000 job really quick.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 AM

I think you may have lucked out. You must take the car in to a garage have have the retainers inspected before you can fully relax. Drive the car to your nearest garage or to be completely safe have it towed. If it were my car ,I'd have it towed.

Quick Reply: misshift