S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

misshift

Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default misshift

what are some problems that one might face from a misshift at redline?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

BOOM!!!! then it dies and won't restart. you sir have just bent valves
Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 PM

what happens when you have bent valves? should i get them replaced? or something? i have some kind of whine coming from my rear diff that i didnt hear before when i engine brake.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off...we need to determine at which gear you were in and what speed and which gear you shifted into and for how long. if you banged 9k..i wouldnt worry..theres a few AP2's running around with AP1 ECUs so the motors rev to 9k. anymore than that you are asking for trouble.

if you are that paranoid..take it to a shop or a dealer and have them do a leak down test and or have them pull the head off and inspect the retainers. AP1 retainers are known to crack from high RPMs..i haven't heard of AP2 retainers cracking.

as for the whining noise from your diff..you might be experiencing a placebo effect. since you think you may have damaged your car..you start "noticing" all these noises you may not have noticed before. your diff is fine. mine makes a whining noise and as a result honda replaced the diff under warranty and the new one makes the same noise as well.

-a
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 AM

okay. i was in 2nd gear right at then redline, before the actually red lines start flashing and i believe i shifted into first by accident. by doing so the the car over revved for about i would say maybe 5 seconds and the car sort of spun out, but i as able to keep it under control.

if i have a shop do a leak down test and inspect the retainers and something is damaged, does anyone know my estimated cost? or if its even covered under warranty? i believe i read that someone wasnt able to get something covered under warranty because the dealer ran the ecu and saw the car was over revved and DIDNT cover it. im completely paranoid so idk what to do.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:39 AM

have the engine looked at right away. if there is something wrong with it, running it in this condition could be catastrophic.

Also, this is a perfect example of driver error. Would you acctualy expect somone to cover this under warranty?

best of luck
Old 09-10-2008, 06:47 AM

wow...redline in 2nd and you went to 1st

top speed for 2nd gear is 56.5 mph(approximate)
top speed for 1st gear is about 37 mph (approximate)

thats a 20mph difference.

you mentioned that the car kind of spun out. thats because the cars wheels were moving MUCH faster than the engine was revving so you broke traction. clear sign of a mechanical over-rev. get it to a shop. don't take it to a honda dealer because theyre going to question why you are doing a leakdown and valvetrain inspection on a 2008.

-alvin
Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The whine could be diff damage as well. I imagine the misshift caused quite the shock load.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 AM

You would really have to fight it to get it past the 1st gear lock out at redline.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by SgtB,Sep 10 2008, 07:18 AM
The whine could be diff damage as well. I imagine the misshift caused quite the shock load.
unlikely...AP2s come with a Clutch Delay Valve which slips the clutch to prevent shock to the diff

-a

Quick Reply: misshift