S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misshift from 3rd to 2nd overrev

Old 09-24-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misshift from 3rd to 2nd overrev

Hey everyone, this is going to sound really dumb but I have a 05 s2000 and yesterday I was driving around and when I got onto a long straight away, I decided to gun it because it's been a while since I drove this car. I was pretty much redlining every gear, and when I went to shift into 4th from 3rd, I accidentally went into 2nd. I let off right after it happened, but not before the rev shot up really high and my car made a horrible sound. When I hit the brakes, I saw smoke but I think its due to my brakes being completely new. I pulled over, i shut the car off, and I let it sit for a bit before starting it up. Started up just fine, normal idle, and it still drives as if nothing happened. Do you guys think something could be wrong with my car even though it seems to run fine? The dumb thing is, a friend of mine did this exact same thing (I think) to my car months ago. I let him drive it and he's a great driver, but he made the same mistake, dont know how. Guess we just drove stupidly. I never made a mistake like this before. Anyway, I read a very similar post and some guys engine was completely ruined. I'm thinking of checking my oil pan soon for any pieces of metal. Would my car run normally even with cracked valves or anything? What do you guys think? Any input is appreciated!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 AM

You should be fine, but if paranoid about it just pull the valve cover off and inspect your retainers for any cracks. Last time i over revved was in a B series and i snap a retainer and dropped a valve.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 AM

Lesson learned , IDK if id be so upset ..I think you should be ok ...remember be careful the S can bite if mistreated ..if not it will take as good of care of you as you take care if it ...proof look at all the 100k car with little to no issues. Best of luck hope you learned a good lesson , it didn't cost you a motor ...your lucky .
Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell. What RPMs were you at in 3rd as you shifted? Were you at redline or just in VTEC? I know your statement says you were pretty much redlining every gear, but it's important to be sure.

Cracked retainers could take some time to show any symptoms. Pulling the valve cover, as mentioned above, is a good way to get an initial look, but some more in depth analysis will be needed.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He's got an 05. He would've bent a valve/had valve to piston contact before he would even come close to cracking those retainers. A leakdown test might not be a bad idea just to see if you did by chance bend any valves, even slightly. But the fact that it's running and driving fine leads me to believe you probably dodged a bullet. Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
Hard to tell. What RPMs were you at in 3rd as you shifted? Were you at redline or just in VTEC? I know your statement says you were pretty much redlining every gear, but it's important to be sure.

Cracked retainers could take some time to show any symptoms. Pulling the valve cover, as mentioned above, is a good way to get an initial look, but some more in depth analysis will be needed.
I was at redline. As I stated in OP, this is the second time this happened. A friend did the same thing to my car before, and I never took a good look under the valve cover. I will though this time.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
He's got an 05. He would've bent a valve/had valve to piston contact before he would even come close to cracking those retainers. A leakdown test might not be a bad idea just to see if you did by chance bend any valves, even slightly. But the fact that it's running and driving fine leads me to believe you probably dodged a bullet. Good Luck!
I might have to look into doing a leakdown test. If I did bend any valves, would the car act any differently, even slight bends? I'm just having a hard time believing that my car is fine because this was the second time this happened to the car, except it wasn't me the first time around. Car is running great still, or appears to anyway... Really hope its all good though. I would be crazy lucky.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

AP2 is designed to withstand a one-gear mechanical over-rev.

You are fine.

Don't pull the valve cover, you wont find anything, I promise.

Benn posting this for 8 years.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
AP2 is designed to withstand a one-gear mechanical over-rev.

You are fine.

Don't pull the valve cover, you wont find anything, I promise.

Benn posting this for 8 years.
Well if Billman says I'm alright, then I'll buy it (: although this over rev happened twice at full rpm. Thanks billman. I was scared I had bent valves, cause that is still a possibility on ap2 right? But I have no cel or anything. Guess ill assume my car is good
Old 09-25-2013, 02:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've never adjusted the valves before, maybe this is a good time to do it.

Quick Reply: Misshift from 3rd to 2nd overrev