S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Missfire

Old 09-01-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Missfire

My car first started to missfire rite after i got it out of the shop after getting my kit painted (3 months ago). The car was fine when i brought it in, but the second i got in the car and down the block my car stalled and was dead. I think re-started it and took it back to the shop and left it there.
The next day i scanned it and it was a missfire in the 3rd cyclinder. My bro-in-law replaced only the 3rd cyclinder it with a "autolite" sparkplug and didn't change the rest at all, without me even telling me what he did.
Two weeks later, the same problem began and I knew it was another missfire so i scanned it and this time it was the same problem. So i then bought brand new sparkplugs from Honda (they where the rite ones, because i got my info on this site) and replaced them all. However, the misfire still wasn't corrected. So i resetted the ecu and the car ran fine for maybe a week.
I finally read on this site that i maybe the coils so i reinstalled the sparkplugs and swapped the coils around and the problem was still in the 3rd cyclinder, sometimes the 4th cyclinder would also throw a misfire.

by now i knew it wasn't the sparkplugs, it wasn't the coils because i did the (A,B,C,D ------> C,D,A,B) so i then read on here that the problem may also be the fuel injectors and filter.
so two days ago, i took my car to a shop and they sprayed the canister that was supposed to clean the engine, fuel rails and injectors out, but when i got the car the engine check light was still flashing.

I am so lost right now, I am not sure what to do anymore! I can't even think of anything else that could be wrong in the car.

- the sparkplugs are brand new
- the coils have been swapped and the 3rd cyclinder still misfires
- the fuel injectors + rail have been clean
- the ecu has been resetted multiple times

I was hoping that someone can help give me some ideas before i throw the car to honda to mess around with.

Helpful comment only please! This is becoming so stressful trying to do this plus school.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

switch the injectors and see. the can youre talking about will not help clean the injectors much.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that was what i was planning on do tomorrow.=
I hope that that will be the problem.

so then if the can won't clean them what will?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:04 PM

There are shops that will clean them thoroughly at around $20-25/injector.

How many miles do you have?

I had the same problem and found a local who was upgrading and selling his injectors. I havent had one misfire since then.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're only $100 each from Honda.

I'd do a compression check too. It might not be the plugs OR Injectors.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Misfire codes that started in three and now are in three and four? You might look into the possiblity of head damage. If the valves aren't seating properly they could cause a misfire.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:26 AM

I think the misfire is still in 3, Eluded.

$400 for a set up injectors is crazy. Find a local who has a spare set and get them for a third of that price.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:27 AM

ALso, i called flagstaff honda up to get a quote and i remember him giving me a very good deal. You might wanna check them out, too.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually consider $100 for an injector to be pretty cheap. They list for $132 each. Used to be any honda injector would work with any other. They were all 240 gph injectors. What other car's cross with the S2000?
Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 AM

cheap is relative. i paid 150 for a set of four with 25k miles on it. Sure you can spend the extra 250 + shipping, but why? Save it for something better

Quick Reply: Missfire