S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

missed second gear

Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missed second gear

So I reluctantly raced a crx the other night and when I shifted into second I missed and grinded pretty bad. After that happened it became hard to put it into first and second. When putting it in first at a stop its tough and when it does go in it occasionally clunks second is slightly harder than normal to shift into at lower rpms but not to bad with moderate rpms. It doesn't grind at all when shifting just hard to put in gear. Anything I should go to first? I have an ap2 transmission.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Try fluid change, sure your not just being paranoid?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

2nd gear grind is common on s2k's. I have done it a few times. I don't think you have damaged anything. If you want you can change the fluid.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Well I was planning on changing the fluid, I'm not being paranoid because after the missed shift I got to a light and that's when I noticed it being hard to put into first. It hasn't done this until this happened. I'm wondering if maybe something is bent internally. Every other gear feels fine except first and second. First is hard to put in and alomost feels like once its in its slightly stuck because it is harder to take it out of first also.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is it easier to put into gear if you switch the engine off?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by chris_barry
is it easier to put into gear if you switch the engine off?
No it feels the same on or off
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

What do you mean you missed 2nd gear?

What light did you get?

(And please stop racing on the street)
Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD
What do you mean you missed 2nd gear?

What light did you get?

(And please stop racing on the street)
Went to shift into second and released the clutch to soon I guess and it didn't go into gear instead it grinded badly.

The light I'm talking about was a traffic light. I had to stop at it since it turned red and that's when I noticed the issue I'm having.

It was very late and me and the other car were the only ones on this particular road. Besides this thread is about my transmission and not what I choose to do with my car, please only reply if you have useful information.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 PM

There's a thread on here about "rebrandishing" or "deburring" your synchros--if this is indeed a synchro issue. I searched for a few minutes but couldn't find it, but it involves going in and out of gear (with the car off?) over and over and over again. Or something like that. So it'll smooth out any of the rough edges that were jarred out of place.

Beyond that, I don't see anything else besides drain your tranny fluid and tell us what you see. Put in new Honda OEM MTF.

P.S. Dude, you can't justify street racing on public streets where they may be a pedestrian or some kid on a bike or anything. I don't care what you do with your car, but when you're on the street and you do something where you can LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR OWN CAR, that turns into something I can care about. Fair enough? And trying to justify it AFTER you mess up your own car makes you look like an even *bigger* dumbass. That is actually useful information, take note, and then take it to the track.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 PM

If it is synchros, try this (though this is for 5/6th gear):
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/973...t__p__21943290

Though I kind of doubt that'll fix it.

See also:
http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

Quick Reply: missed second gear