S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mishimoto 2 Row or X-Line 3 Row

Old 01-02-2015, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mishimoto 2 Row or X-Line 3 Row

Gonna upgrade my radiator in the next couple of weeks and I found a new X-Line for $270 something. Now I dont know much about radiators so should I stick with the 2 row or are there any benifits of the 3 row over 2. Im not tracking the car anything just a DD until I find me a replacement DD.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anything wrong with your OEM radiator? What are your water temps?
Old 01-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Well awhile back car kept running hot like to the MAX! Even when I did put coolant in. Now its in a decent state it sits a 8bars on the gauge. But I do have 2 CEL lights for the cooling system both mention coolant levels or T-Stat issue. Dont remember the codes as its been months now but I figure if im going to change the T-Stat might as well throw in some extra cash for a new rad.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If its just a DD and you don't track/etc then upgrading is a waste of money.

Assuming you aren't boosted

Most likely you overheated because of air in the system or a leak somewhere. If it went to "max" you may have damaged the motor
Old 01-02-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tmayne124
Well awhile back car kept running hot like to the MAX! Even when I did put coolant in. Now its in a decent state it sits a 8bars on the gauge. But I do have 2 CEL lights for the cooling system both mention coolant levels or T-Stat issue. Dont remember the codes as its been months now but I figure if im going to change the T-Stat might as well throw in some extra cash for a new rad.
You have a more serious issue if temps are getting to MAX on the gauge. Getting a larger radiator won't necessarily fix the issue and is a patch. The OEM radiator is plenty efficient enough.

Spend your money repairing your vehicle vs throwing aftermarket parts at it. Hopefully it's as simple as a t-stat.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:02 PM

The temp no longer goes to max I stated "a while back". Also I know the radiator was not the issue. The only issue I have is my T-Stat which is being replaced. The radiator replacement is purely for cosmetic purposes as the I dislike the look of the OE radiator.

I just wanted to know what difference between 2 and 3 row were.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 PM

From the manufacturer's website: " Each new X-Line radiator application has 3 rows for a core that is 25% larger than standard radiator applications"

They also don't provide heat transfer efficiency measurements, so the benefits going with a 3-row core are unknown. As your purchase is merely cosmetics, get whichever is cheaper.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH
From the manufacturer's website: " Each new X-Line radiator application has 3 rows for a core that is 25% larger than standard radiator applications"

They also don't provide heat transfer efficiency measurements, so the benefits going with a 3-row core are unknown. As your purchase is merely cosmetics, get whichever is cheaper.

Yea was wishing someone knew cause I wanted to compare the specs. But thanks for the input/help
Old 01-14-2015, 10:02 AM

Gonna upgrade my radiator in the next couple of weeks and I found a new X-Line for $270 something. Now I dont know much about radiators so should I stick with the 2 row or are there any benifits of the 3 row over 2. Im not tracking the car anything just a DD until I find me a replacement DD.

Originally Posted by 99SH' timestamp='1420251574' post='23454429

Yea was wishing someone knew cause I wanted to compare the specs. But thanks for the input/help
Thanks for the interest in our S2000 radiators! For daily use and occasional track/auto-x use, our standard 2-row unit will certainly be sufficient. If you are running a forced induction setup or frequently track the vehicle for long durations, our 3-row unit is going to be a safer bet. Both of our radiators are designed with extremely efficient cores and feature full aluminum construction which provides greater reliability. As you mentioned, they also look great in your engine bay!

Let us know if we can answer any additional questions! Good luck with the thermostat install and coolant system refresh!

Thanks
-John
Old 01-14-2015, 04:43 PM

^ John do you have any measurable data you can provide comparing the 2 core to 3 core design?

Quick Reply: Mishimoto 2 Row or X-Line 3 Row