S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders

Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hey, Random1

My name is IL and I'm a new member! I have a 2000 S with about 44800 miles on it and have the same problem. Misfiring all in the early rpms at about 10-12 throttle % I can tell because of my vafc 2. I've read your whole thread and It makes me feel at ease that its fixable but I'm only 20 and don't know much about this engine as I've only been working on cars for a couple of years. Now I did the 45k mile check up and changed spark plugs. Basically everything that you did prior except the fuel injectors, I bought an octane booster which i poured in and am waiting to finish the gas so I can pour a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner. I'm hoping this will resolve the issue, hopefully. Now if it doesn't my question was If I'm going to change the injectors I thought I'd get some performance ones'. Jason at www.torquefreaks.com in portland, OR recommended 10% over, if it is the injectors will this resolve the issue and how is your car running.

Thanks for your thread it has helped me keep calm!

IL
Old 01-28-2006, 01:54 PM

very nice thread it helped me alot.but saw it too late

I had the exact same problem changed did everything like change plugs, ran injector cleaner 2 times didnt do anything. Finally changed all the injectors. ITS FINE NOW

its been a week runs good... ill keep you guys updated

i hope i didnt jinx my self
Old 04-28-2006, 01:58 PM

I just wanted to bump this very useful thread in case others are having similar problems. Thanks to Random1 for his excellent documentation.

I have found other similar posts in individual local community forums, so not all the misfire/injector experience and resolution is here in the UTH forum.

Please be aware that symptoms can seem very similar and have different causes, so please be very careful about what steps you take with your car.

Also be aware that a flashing CEL generally means you are damaging your car now. You should turn your car off and have it towed to a competent mechanic.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:27 PM

Since the thread got bumped, here's an update: 4 months and 8k more miles on the odo and everything is still idling beautifully since the injector replacement.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last night when I pulled into the garage the engine was missing at idle again, the same way it was before. I had a hint of this last weekend and a few of times this week I questioned it. No CEL yet. Car runs great otherwise. I've been using Chevron gas except on a few ocasions where I used Shell. I also did Techron cleaner in the gas every 3k miles. The last time was two tanks ago, about two weeks ago.

The milage now is about 65,8xx miles, so I had about 12k miles of smooth driving on my used MY02 injectors. There was 53k when they were installed.

I have not figured out what I plan to do yet. Maybe a brand new set of injectors will last 50-60k, but I hate to think this way, injectors as a maintenance item. No other car I've owned has had a hint of an injector problem. Anyone know if the 04-06 injectors have the same flow specs as the MY00-MY03? I will be looking into this.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is something more going on other than your injectors. I think what happened is that you replacing the injectors masked the real problem.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:20 AM

I have the same symptoms, so I'll just add some food for thought.
-My S2K is a MY02
-The problems first showed up at 18,XXX miles (two weeks ago)

-Who uses 91 octane or 93 octane?
-Fuel system cleaner (I've tried it twice) seems like it acts as a band-aid, keeping the CEL away for four-five days
-Could severe altitude changes also be suspect?

masked the real problem
Any guesses for the real problem?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are a TON of things that can cause this. unfortunately it involves a lot of troubleshooting.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:36 AM

Just want to get in on this as I have the same problem.

I have just been living with the CEL lately, as I have gotten tired of buying Techron Injector cleaner. But I agree, the injector cleaner makes the car run much better for a few days but doesn't ultimately fix anything. I have been following all of these threads as much as possible and I can see that Winsconsin doesn't believe it is actually the injectors themselves. Initially I would have thought it was more likly an electrical issue too, but in one of the earliest threads on the subject the guy was having Honda techs try everything under the sun to figure out the problem and nothing worked. Brand new coils, new plugs, new everything and the problem remained.

My current guess is oil being picked up from PCV is going through manifold and messing up the injectors. So I'm working on a catch can to see if any oil is actually being collected. This is just a theory though, I don't really know where else to look and this is a cheap road to investigate. I am pretty sure some new injectors would fix it up, but for how long? Would I just run back into this issue again in 6 months?

I am also considering a valve adjust issue. I checked/adjuected my valves a few months ago and all were pretty good except one of the #2 intake valves. I recall that others have had the same condition, all valves good except #2 intakes. I am new to valve adjustments so I don't know if I did it right or not, I'm going to go back and try again very soon.

Lets please keep the ideas and info flowing here, I'm tired of this problem and want a solution.

LG
Old 05-04-2006, 11:41 AM

Seems like nobody has mentioned it, but if you keep swapping in injectors and have the problem fixed only temporarily I would check the fuel pump and sock. Maybe the sock is not doing its job and allowing unfiltered gas thru' the injectors?

Also, I noticed that your initial intake valve adjustment was too tight -- .18mm vs .21-.25mm spec. I wonder if it has already done some damage. Burnt intake valve is unlikely but perhaps carbon buildup in some intake parts?

Quick Reply: Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders