S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders

Old 12-17-2005, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=SPLNDID,Dec 17 2005, 09:09 PM]I would be very interested in finding data that could, or could not support the use of injector cleaner every 3k miles or so.
This thread has got me thinking about checking the injectors every now and then.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Random1,Dec 16 2005, 01:50 PM
Good luck! Please post the out come.

If you can get the old injectors, if not all at least one, post the part number, take a picture of it and post for us to see. It would also be nice to see if the new ones they install are different in any way. Maybe they could provide that information as well.
I'll definitely get the part number. The dealer told me that since Honda is paying for the new injectors, they want the old ones sent back, presumably for analysis. I'll try to get a digital photo of the old ones, but I don't know how much, if anything, that will reveal.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll be back with you all on Monday.

P.S. As for injectors getting clogged or worn out, I can only offer this bit of anecdotal information. I've got an Acura Integra with 172k on it and has never had any maintenance on the fuel injectors (including fuel injector cleaner) and it still runs as smooth as a sewing machine.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Random1,Dec 17 2005, 10:02 PM
The only way to tell if there is a difference from one check to another would be to remove them and have them flow checked using the same setup (pulse frequency/duration and volume/time spec of the test equipment) each time.

I think most of the black on the exhaust is from running rich.
I think dirty fuel injectors are caused by the fuel and contaminents in the fuel. Misfiring at idle is because the are injectors are not opening properly or at all and cause a lean misfire. Mechanics I have talked with describe a varnish that builds up inside that must be desolved.
I agree.

Preventative maintenance causes its own set of problems.
I spent a few years as a technician at a major manned space flight provider. The policy at the time was to constantly check stuff...
Sometimes we cause problems by diving into stuff that is working perfectly fine. However, there has to be a decent procedure for checking and cleaning injectors.
I don't have rough idle problems yet, but I can definitely tell you that my engine is running rougher under power. One of the things I suspect is that the injectors are not flow-balanced.
Perhaps the best action for me to take right now is to run a tank or two of injector cleaner from Chevron.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:27 PM

Success! (I hope!) The new fuel injectors seem to have done the trick. Idle is very smooth with no "puffing" noises from the exhaust.

I don't know what the part number and my dealer didn't seem to know either when I asked. I did look at the old injectors and they looked pretty clean on the outside (unlike the one pictured earlier in this thread). I may have just picked up some really bad gas during the Hurricane induced shortage here in Texas which fouled things up.

At any rate, I'm just glad to have my S back in working order.
(...and not staring at that %^$#@^ CEL!)
Old 12-23-2005, 04:11 PM

Quick question guys, when im 'puffing' mode and car has been idling for > 10 mins, does the exhaust start to smoke badly?

Many thanks

ian
Old 12-23-2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ianho,Dec 23 2005, 06:11 PM
Quick question guys, when im 'puffing' mode and car has been idling for > 10 mins, does the exhaust start to smoke badly?

Many thanks

ian
No smoke out of my S.

I aways let my S idle in between runs when autocrossing (20 minutes or so at a time) and I did this when it had the misfire at idle, never any smoke.

I don't remember reading or hearing about any other misfiring S with smoke.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Geo02S2k,Dec 22 2005, 09:27 PM
Success! (I hope!) The new fuel injectors seem to have done the trick. Idle is very smooth with no "puffing" noises from the exhaust.

I don't know what the part number and my dealer didn't seem to know either when I asked. I did look at the old injectors and they looked pretty clean on the outside (unlike the one pictured earlier in this thread). I may have just picked up some really bad gas during the Hurricane induced shortage here in Texas which fouled things up.

At any rate, I'm just glad to have my S back in working order.
(...and not staring at that %^$#@^ CEL!)
Congrats, it will probably last at least as long as the first set.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ianho,Dec 23 2005, 05:11 PM
I think I spotted some white smoke the very first time I noticed a CEL. It was a pretty cool morning compared to what I'd been experiencing, I had driven a lot of highway miles the day before, and I was about a block from the hotel I was staying at. The "smoke" didn't continue and I never had any more when it threw the subsequent codes, just idled really roughly once it was warmed up. It had been "puffing" a bit before that, however, so I'm pretty sure it didn't just start then.

Smoke typically means that something (oil or coolant usually) is getting into the cylinders. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Random1,Dec 23 2005, 07:34 PM
Congrats, it will probably last at least as long as the first set.
Thanks. I hope at least. The first set lasted 30k before the CEL popped up. I picked up the car with 24k on it, so I'm hoping I can keep it going a little better since I'll know what is happening to it.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:35 AM

Damn... Oh well, will have to delve into the engine after X'mas to see whats going on then...

Thanks guys

ian

Quick Reply: Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders