S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders

Old 12-13-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=SPLNDID,Dec 13 2005, 07:41 PM]...and one more thing...
I just saw the pictures of the fouled injectors.
It's plausable that oil mist may cause such a condition, but mainly I am curious about the gasoline.
What gasoline do you use?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let's stick to the topic please
Old 12-15-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I deviated.
Just was including oil-mist elimination as a possible preventative mod because it is known that if the idle-bypass at the throttle body is dirty, then idle is affected. However, that doesn't seem to be the main culprit in this thread's case.
Any word on what might cause injector fouling? Bad gas? Age? And finally, should one dump in injector cleaner every now and then?

CB
Old 12-15-2005, 08:38 PM

I hope the fuel injector issue is the real solution to this problem. I've been going around and around with my local dealer trying to get this same problem resolved. I too purchased my car with about 24k miles on it and started having a rough idle condition and misfire codes right at 30k. I have never overreved the engine and my dealer is pretty sure the previous owner didn't either.

So far they've checked the plugs and coils, done a compression check (ok), and adjusted the valves. Each time the problem sort of cleared up (but still with puffing sounds from the exhaust when warm) with no code for about a week and then recurred. (The valve adjustment does seem to have cured and RPM drop that I had when in stop and go traffic.) After discussions with Honda, they are now going to put in 4 new injectors on Monday.

Wish me luck! I'm tired of staring at that glowing yellow CEL!
Old 12-16-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Geo02S2k,Dec 15 2005, 10:38 PM
I hope the fuel injector issue is the real solution to this problem. I've been going around and around with my local dealer trying to get this same problem resolved. I too purchased my car with about 24k miles on it and started having a rough idle condition and misfire codes right at 30k. I have never overreved the engine and my dealer is pretty sure the previous owner didn't either.

So far they've checked the plugs and coils, done a compression check (ok), and adjusted the valves. Each time the problem sort of cleared up (but still with puffing sounds from the exhaust when warm) with no code for about a week and then recurred. (The valve adjustment does seem to have cured and RPM drop that I had when in stop and go traffic.) After discussions with Honda, they are now going to put in 4 new injectors on Monday.

Wish me luck! I'm tired of staring at that glowing yellow CEL!
Good luck! Please post the out come.

If you can get the old injectors, if not all at least one, post the part number, take a picture of it and post for us to see. It would also be nice to see if the new ones they install are different in any way. Maybe they could provide that information as well.

On the Majestic Honda parts web page it shows a different product number between MY00 and MY01-MY05, 1285259 versus 205658 respectively.

On the San Leandro Honda parts web page it shows a different Honda part number between MY00-MY03 and MY04-MY05, 06164-PCX-000 versus 06164-PCX-010 respectively.

When I get a chance, I'll call a dealer to see if there really is a part number change and when it may have been cut in.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:16 PM

If I may...
I would think that the injectors work very hard. There are lots of moving parts. Can you tell me if other high-tech, high-performance cars use injectors for each cylinder? And, is it possible to determine the MTBF for injectors of other engines? The question leads to either injector maintenance or replacement... and at what intervals?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:51 PM

[QUOTE=SPLNDID,Dec 16 2005, 08:16 PM]If I may...
I would think that the injectors work very hard.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:43 PM

I had cel for about 3 days, waited until tank almost emptied, I filled it with Shell gasoline drove it for good 40 min. when I parked Cel went away. also I have about 54k miles, this is the first time I saw cel.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:09 PM

I would be very interested in finding data that could, or could not support the use of injector cleaner every 3k miles or so.
This thread has got me thinking about checking the injectors every now and then. Removing them for inspection, that is.

CB
Old 12-17-2005, 07:20 PM

... One more thing...
Two weeks ago, a few of us traveled to Pahrump, NV to drive the 3.5 mile course there. We had a ball and we drove the Ss very hard. What we noticed after returning home was that there is a formation of what appears to be oil droplets baked on to our exhaust tips. Not just a little bit either.
If the exhaust tips are fouled with this apparent oil mist after hard driving, I wonder if the injectors would be affected similarly? (No oil catch can was installed for the Pahrump event.)
Just for thought...

CB

Quick Reply: Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders