S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders

Old 07-02-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great news! I'm glad the problem ended up being fairly minor.

Why cyl#2 was throwing misfire codes when it had good fuel flow and pattern? Who knows. I don't know about the Honda ECU, but I think other ECUs detect misfire by watching the crank position sensor. If the crank doesn't accellerate after a cylinder was supposed to fire, it throws a misfire code. I'm wondering if maybe because the other cylinders were just going along for the ride half the time, that piston #2 was slowed down enough that the ECU firgured it misfired.

I'd definately replace inj#1. Maybe it's my turbo background, but I'd be paranoid about losing that cylinder.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering how widespread injector clogging of this magnitude is in S2000s with only 50,000 miles on the odometer. I try to run top tier gasolines that provide higher levels of detergents. I have not run fuel system cleaners at oil change time as does XViper. I would hope to avoid this malady, if possible. Random1, did the folks who cleaned your injectors make any comments or suggestions regarding how to maintain the injectors, fuel recommendations, cleaners, etc.?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Detroit_Doc,Jul 2 2005, 08:30 AM]That's great news!
Old 08-25-2005, 11:36 PM

Up date...

The car now has just over 53k miles (was 48k when the original problem started) and the rough idle came back in cylinder #1 about a month ago. This was verified by reading the code as indicated by the CEL. Instead of buying a reconditioned injector to replace the one for cylinder #1 as indicated prior, I purchased a used set with an intake manifold off of ebay. This past weekend the idle got even rougher and the codes indicated misfires on all cylinders again. Tonight I swapped in the set purchased off ebay and the idle is perfectly smooth again. I'm skepticle as to how long this will last since the clean and flow checked set began running rough again.

If this new set starts running rough again in a few thousand miles I will be baffled and have to look to other reasons for this problem.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:37 AM

good work, i'll just print this out to save the local deelor some time.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 PM

It could be bad gasoline. We had a flood in Houston during Tropical Storm Allison and many gasoline stations added a 'drying agent' to remove excess moisture from their tanks. This additive caused many cars to stop running by clogging each injector. The honda dealership had over 40 cars in their lot waiting to be fixed.

Good luck again...
Old 09-16-2005, 06:07 AM

Have you cleaned the throttle body yet? If the idle bypass is clogged, it can cause rough idle. Don't use the nasty ether carb cleaners, use a milder brush-on cleaner.

Lemme know how it goes.
CB
Old 09-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Banned

I'm in the same boat as you. Except I have two cylinders gone. This was my second over rev, first one had similar results as what your having now. I didnt bother to fix it (thank god, saved me some money), I suspected the engine was running weak and now after one more over-rev my engine is gone. I think your's may run "ok" for a lil while but will eventually go out. Just my 2 cents. Good luck
Old 09-16-2005, 01:46 PM

valves? What gets hosed if downshifting and overrev occurrs?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=SPLNDID,Sep 16 2005, 07:07 AM]Have you cleaned the throttle body yet?

Quick Reply: Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders