S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders

Old 02-08-2007, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken my car to the dealership several times - Several hundred bucks later the problem still exist...

Engine light is still on:

Car has 34K miles on it
Never driven rough
The dealer replaced the Plugs, checked the coils, did a leak test, and most recently (2 days ago) ran a fuel injection cleaner...

I am beginning to think that HONDA dealerships in my area are simply money pits... I just called them and they are saying they may have to do a valve Job - RIGHT!!!

I am going by the local Acura dealer today and get the injectors checked again... No rough Idles occurs on the car... I love my02 but Acura can't fix it I am selling it and buying a 335i Saturday!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwhlz1,Feb 8 2007, 10:29 AM
I have taken my car to the dealership several times - Several hundred bucks later the problem still exist...

Engine light is still on:

Car has 34K miles on it
Never driven rough
The dealer replaced the Plugs, checked the coils, did a leak test, and most recently (2 days ago) ran a fuel injection cleaner...

I am beginning to think that HONDA dealerships in my area are simply money pits... I just called them and they are saying they may have to do a valve Job - RIGHT!!!

I am going by the local Acura dealer today and get the injectors checked again... No rough Idles occurs on the car... I love my02 but Acura can't fix it I am selling it and buying a 335i Saturday!!!
I'm sorry you are going through this.

Have they reset the engine light after doing their work? Have they told you what the code numbers that are causing the light? Have they checked the fuel pressure?

Doing a valve job is rediculous. I'd rather have them put in new fuel injectors than do a valve job. Or put in a new fuel filter and clean the injectors on a flow test/cleaning machine.

My guess is that after some number of miles it will come back.

335i is a nice car, but it's a boat compared to an S.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=Random1,May 19 2005, 09:00 PM] Any help/insights are appreciated, the engine runs great except at idle or below about 3k with no load. Under acceleration the engine runs great including VTEC. My theory is that it may be a single failure common to all cylinders since they all started misfiring at the same time? This is a bit long, but I wanted to provide enough information.

I have read many threads on rough idle and misfires and have tried some of the recommended solutions. I have also used the shop manual and followed some of the trouble shooting paths for the codes indicated below, but there are limitations because the manual assumes a code on one cylinder not four. So, swapping around an ignition coil, spark plug, or fuel injector won
Old 02-09-2007, 02:44 AM
Ron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't feel quite as bad about being able to diagnose my misfire.

The dealership spent all day yesterday and they still don't have a clue.

They've
Changed Plugs
Drained the Gas tank (bad fuel theory)
Inspected Coil Packs

No change in symptoms. They're calling the Honda Techline this morning to ask WTF.

One odd thing I noticed is that Long Term Fuel Trim has been pegged on 0 since the first time I cleared the codes. I cleared the ECU on another S and saw the Long Term Trim start edging back up, as I would have expected. It shouldn't matter since Short Term Trim seems to be working normally, trying to lean out the engine. Does this suggest anything to anyone?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Ron

Ok, they still haven't called the Techline. They decided they need to have more facts before they did.

Swapped out coilpacks with another car, no change in symptoms.
Tested compression, all cylinders ok.

Along the way, they decided that the first cylinder to misfire in all events was Cylinder 1.

Swapped injector on Cylinder 1 with another cylinder, no change in symptoms, Cylinder 1 still misfiring.

Cleaned throttlebody. Symptoms disappeared for 15 minutes and then returned. ??

Everyone's going home for the weekend and picking up with the fault-tree from the manual for single-cylinder misfires on Monday.

Any of this suggest anything?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:29 PM

The codes they were getting were: P0307 and P0303

I was like 0307 WTF!!!

Right now the car is sitting in the garage because I am not trying to spend another few hundred bucks... I have drafted a letter I am going to send to Honda this weekend - hopefully they will help...
Old 02-12-2007, 12:53 PM

I just purchased a Extended Warranty for about 1800 bucks - 5 year - 100K bumper to bumper... Now the dealer will fix my @#!$ car!!! Oh, I have a $50 dollar ded... I had to do something because this Engine Light thing would have broke me in the end...
Old 03-07-2007, 05:48 PM

I am having the same problem with my 02, did honda fix your car yet and what was causing the misfire?
Old 03-24-2007, 07:38 PM

can u actually buy a warranty from honda if u bought ur car used from a private party?? anyone?? its been 2 years now.. and my 00 s2k still has about 67,xxx miles.. i only used it for a couple hundred miles on the 2nd year.. cel still on.. still researching bout the symptoms why its throwing a random missfire code on all 4 cylinders. i havent changed the fuel injectors. and yes, the car still runs great above 3000 rpm but has a rough idle below 3000 rpm. anyone fixed their problem yet??
Old 04-22-2007, 11:25 AM

So after have the CEL for random misfire and misfire in all 4 cycinders, I finally took the car in to get it fixed. After doing a compression test, cyclinder #3 was at 80 psi's while the other 3 were at 180. A leakdown test revealed that the exhaust valves in cycinder #3 were leaking.
After pullng the head and removing the vavletrain we found that all 8 exahust vavles were bent with the valves in cyclinder #3 being the worst.
We sent the head to the machine shop and they said I need to replace all 32 valve keepers. There are 2 per valve and all 32 of them were bent beyond reuse, something my mechanic has never seen with 20+ years of working on cars.
Well, that was 2 weeks ago. Honda Canada only found 28 of them between the Toronto and Montreal warehouse.
On thursday, the other 4 arrived from somewhere in the US.
On friday, the machine shop was about to put the head back together when they realized I needed to replace all 16 valve retainer as they all had cracks in them. Between the Montreal and Toronto warehouse, they only had 12 so now I need to wait for another 4 from the US.
On Monday, I will double check with the machine shop to make sure the valves are not bent since there was so much damage to the retainers and keepers.
And to mate matters worse, the machine shop said there was a lot of damage to the vavle seat.

Hopefully this is all the damage I did to my motor and my car will be ready by the end of the week.

Quick Reply: Misfiring - Rough Idle - Codes for all Cylinders