S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfire and ticking noise after valve job

Old 03-16-2022, 10:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Misfire and ticking noise after valve job

I have an 05 s2000. I pulled my head because something felt off and I had low compression on a couple of cylinders. We found burned exhaust valves, which we suspect were a result of PO not adjusting them. We put the engine together this week and it has not gone well. It has a Ballade TCT, but we were having a really hard time reinstalling and retracting the piston. I'm not confident we got it right, so I want to replace it and have reached out to Billman to try one of his. When we tried to start the car, it gave us some trouble and while it will idle, there is a lot of vibration and a noise that reminds me of lifter tick in the Miatas I had before my s2k. At first we suspected the ticking noise was from valve adjustment, but we were very careful when we did the adjustment after putting the head on, so now I'm thinking possible TCT issue? There is also a misfire on cylinder 2. While attempting to diagnose, we pressed some socket extensions from our ears to the injectors and noticed number 2 didn't make the same noise as the others, so I'm hoping it's just a fuel issue.

My plan right now is to find/order new injectors and TCT, verify valve adjustment and timing, then try to start again. If anyone could offer advice, or recommend where to go for injectors, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2022, 09:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I'd do a compression and leak-down tests. Something maybe amiss with that valve job you did.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I'd not run that engine with the Balade TCT especially since you had difficulty installing it. Horror stories abound regarding this TCT. Wait until Billman's arrives and install according to the instructions using the bolts he provides. Reinstall the OEM in the interim if you absolutely need to run the engine.

-- Chuck
Old 03-17-2022, 07:40 AM

Yes, I'm not planning on running again yet. I've reached out to Billman and he's going to send me one of his TCTs. Plan is to replace TCT and injectors and then try again. What/where should I go for injectors?

Additional info:
Valve job: Was done by Shacklett's in Nashville. They do s2k heads pretty regularly and came recommended from a friend who has sent several there. I can still verify, but I suspect the trouble is from something I've done, not the job itself.

Ballade TCT: I did not force the Ballade TCT in. When I took it out I had locked it in place using a bolt/wing nut, similar to how it was shipped. When it didn't want to go in I attempted to compress it by shoving it against a flat surface and tightening the bolt on the back, but it was incredibly hard to compress. While playing with it we noticed if we rotated the piston, it retracted. I did not find mention of anyone else doing that, and I don't feel confident it was smart to do. Once we got the piston retracted enough to allot TCT to slide in flush without much effort, we bolted it on, released the bolt/wing nut, and installed the weird bolt, gasket, and back cover.

Valve Clearance Adjustment: Manual called for 0.21 - 0.25mm on Intake and 0.25-0.29 on Exhaust. We set intake where 0.23 feeler would fit, but not 0.25. On exhaust we did not have a 0.29 feeler, so we set where 0.28 would fit snug but 0.30 would not.

Misfire: Before starting, I pulled fuel and ignition fuses and turned engine over a few times to get oil moving. I suspect fuel issue because the car sat for over a year, which makes me question all of the gas sitting in it. It hesitated and took a bit of throttle to get it to start. It was idling, but there was vibration/ticking noise. At first it threw multiple misfire pending, and after a bit it was showing Cylinder 2 misfire. While running I took socket extensions and pressed from my ear to the injectors. 1, 3, and 4 all sounded the same, making a clicking noise. No noise from number 2 injector. I'm thinking maybe it is just gunked up from sitting for so long. Planning to test it by connecting power directly to it to see if I can feel it actuate. Either way I'm considering replacing.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2022, 08:16 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by reallyangrydinosaur
we got the piston retracted enough to allot TCT to slide in flush without much effort, we bolted it on, released the bolt/wing nut, and installed the weird bolt, gasket, and back cover.
The TCT must sit flush against the engine, on it’s own, without the bolts. If it doesn’t, then it cannot retract as the engine warms. You might as well just bolt a block of metal in there. No amount of compressing will make a TCT fit that is TOO LONG in it’s fully compressed state.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:34 AM

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by reallyangrydinosaur
Additional info:
Valve job: Was done by Shacklett's in Nashville. They do s2k heads pretty regularly and came recommended from a friend who has sent several there. I can still verify, but I suspect the trouble is from something I've done, not the job itself.
Thanks!
Just to be clear, since you took it to this Shackletts in Nashville, as they are a machine shop, did the resurface the head?
Old 03-21-2022, 05:48 AM

Update:

I found a guy locally selling his used injectors. I bought them, put one in at number 2. I also replaced the Ballade TCT with a normal pull-pin style. I changed my oil again and the oil came out clean. The rattle has completely gone away at idle, and the misfire is gone, currently no CEL. There is still a rattle that sounds like it's coming from the valve cover if we rev it up a little, but it goes away as soon as it dips back down. What should I check next? My buddy thinks it may be from the valve adjustment possibly?
Old 03-21-2022, 06:30 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Post a sound clip, 4 feet from front of car, hood closed.
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Post a sound clip, 4 feet from front of car, hood closed.
Link:

Engine was completely cold. Video filmed from about 4 feet in front. Hood was closed, but car is still on jack stands. Inside garage with door open. You can hear the noise present at start. As the engine warms, the noise gets more quiet. I didn't run it for very long, but last time once the idle dropped down to about 850 the rattle was completely gone, but would come back if given throttle.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2022, 01:29 PM

I've ordered Billman's TCT. My plan as of now is to verify valve adjustment (I bought that flathead/10mm combo tool and some new feeler gages), install upgraded TCT and see if it improves. I posted a video with audio if anyone wants to give a listen and advise. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (03-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Misfire and ticking noise after valve job