S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

misfire problem

Old 08-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfire problem

i just purchased an 02 s2000 and it came turbo'd with lowered compression running aem standalone. Since the car wont pass NYS emissions with the aem standalone i decided to throw in the stock ECU with stock injectors and stock plugs to have it pass emissions then put the car back to standalone when it passes. After i have done all this im having miss fire issues... i replaced all the plugs and it still throws the codes and drives like crap.. it jerks back and forth when you try and put it into first and drive... if the car is idleing and you give it gas when its not in gear the rpm drops down so low that it almost wants to stall.. any information is better then none please i dont want to sell the car due to NYS stupid emissions...

can the stock computer run with lowered compression without throwing a code?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah...naw...I don't think it's gonna run so good with a stock ecu with all those mods. And if you do it too long, you may be buying a new motor. You may need to figure out how to register the car in another state.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Aug 19 2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah...naw...I don't think it's gonna run so good with a stock ecu with all those mods. And if you do it too long, you may be buying a new motor. You may need to figure out how to register the car in another state.
that makes no sense tho.. im not planning on driving the car hard and hitting any boost, i would stay in VAC all day im just looking to get the systems to set so i can get the thing to pass emissions
Old 08-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a turbo its impossible to create no boost there will be around 1 psi so I would think thats the cause of your misfire you need a fmu to make that work and that would only work if you drive very gently to about 3k-3.5k rpm good luck.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and the lowered compression will have a big factor too. Swap the head gasket and you'll be fine. If i were you I would put the stock head gasket in and run 9psi tops then when inspection comes around just swap out those few things and you will be fine.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:16 PM

you cant find a shop where you can pay the owner to pass you?
i always hear about people doing this it cant be too hard
Old 08-19-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by s2k16803,Aug 19 2009, 05:39 PM
if you have a turbo its impossible to create no boost there will be around 1 psi so I would think thats the cause of your misfire you need a fmu to make that work and that would only work if you drive very gently to about 3k-3.5k rpm good luck.
that would be a supercharger... turbos dont build boost unless you get on them
Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Jew,Aug 19 2009, 06:16 PM
you cant find a shop where you can pay the owner to pass you?
i always hear about people doing this it cant be too hard
i wish i did no a shop that would just pass it with some xtra cash the problem is they have to be able to hook up the car to the computer with no CEL's to allow the car to pass.. they cant just tell the computer the cars okay.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Former Moderator

I'd post in one of the NY s2ki forums and ask what other turbo owners do. There must be someone out there with a similar situation.

BTW...what MAP sensor are you running?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Aug 19 2009, 07:19 PM
I'd post in one of the NY s2ki forums and ask what other turbo owners do. There must be someone out there with a similar situation.

BTW...what MAP sensor are you running?
im running the stock MAP.. i just dont know if its working correctly cause with the turbo setup it runs an aem 3.5 bar.. tomorrow im going to take the injectors out and make sure they are working properly ill clean them out and stuff.. then ill probley just replace the map to be safe...i appreciate your help

Quick Reply: misfire problem