S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfire at 8-9000rpm

Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 AM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

I don't buy the fuel filter argument, the fuel filter is just a sock that is over the pump inlet, if it was plugged you would have much bigger issues than what you are seeing.

You need to swap parts to figure out where the mis-fire is occuring, without CEL's to tell you what cylinder it is much harder to figure out. Start by replacing the sparkplugs with OEM platinum plugs, it is the easiest and cheapest test to start with. I've run Iridiums for a year without issue, but quite a few others reported mis-fires with them, so start with them. It's a process of elimination to track down these issues.

Pretty much every mis-fire on these cars is related to bad plugs, coils, and injectors. When you get a bad coil or injector you get a definite CEL to lead you to the cylinder. So is say start with the plugs and move on from there. Your cat conv. issue may still be a problem as well.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Dec 27 2010, 07:32 AM
I don't buy the fuel filter argument, the fuel filter is just a sock that is over the pump inlet, if it was plugged you would have much bigger issues than what you are seeing.

You need to swap parts to figure out where the mis-fire is occuring, without CEL's to tell you what cylinder it is much harder to figure out. Start by replacing the sparkplugs with OEM platinum plugs, it is the easiest and cheapest test to start with. I've run Iridiums for a year without issue, but quite a few others reported mis-fires with them, so start with them. It's a process of elimination to track down these issues.

Pretty much every mis-fire on these cars is related to bad plugs, coils, and injectors. When you get a bad coil or injector you get a definite CEL to lead you to the cylinder. So is say start with the plugs and move on from there. Your cat conv. issue may still be a problem as well.
I'm not referring to the fuel sock. Most Honda's have two more fuel filters, one under the body (in-line filter) and another under the hood. The S2k may not have the second one, I've actually never looked. I've seen cars do the same thing before.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 AM

ah right there is a filter above the pump and sock. I've just never seen a recommendation to replace the filter on any Honda's maintenance chart like you see with other manufacturers that have replaceable external filters, but the part shows up in the shop manual.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Dec 28 2010, 08:53 AM
ah right there is a filter above the pump and sock. I've just never seen a recommendation to replace the filter on any Honda's maintenance chart like you see with other manufacturers that have replaceable external filters, but the part shows up in the shop manual.
So, JFusion, the one you see in the shop manual, is it the one discussed replacing in the DIY thread?

http://s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-...tml#post153901

Also, on another forum I posted the question as well, and a guy in Australia says it's part of Honda's recommended maintenance to replace the fuel filter at 60,000mi.

Interesting.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1,Dec 26 2010, 11:23 PM
Unfortunately no to both questions. As I stated in my post, no CEL's. And the misfire occurs with the gearbox in neutral and just revving the engine. Intermittent as well.

It was proposed that it could be a fuel starvation problem and I should change the fuel filter, but it puzzles me that it's intermittent and in neutral. I would think that the amount of fuel being pumped is far less at 8000rpm in neutral that when in gear at wide open throttle at 8000rpm.
Does this problem happen when you take the car to 9K in gear?

Taking a motor to red while stationary is a bad idea and can have other issues. I've thrown a few cels on brand new cars bringing them to red in N.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1,Dec 28 2010, 01:05 PM
So, JFusion, the one you see in the shop manual, is it the one discussed replacing in the DIY thread?

http://s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-...tml#post153901

Also, on another forum I posted the question as well, and a guy in Australia says it's part of Honda's recommended maintenance to replace the fuel filter at 60,000mi.

Interesting.
it looks similar, not sure if it is the same size or not as the shop manual only uses approximate shapes and sizes.

I don't think Honda intended the filters to be changed on a regular basis, unless there was an issue or if the fuel tank was replaced. It looks like a lifetime filter hence the size of the filter and the location in the tank. When manufacturers have replaceable fuel filters they almost always mount them external from the tank and they are usually smaller in size. I don't know why it would be a recommended replacement part in Australia, maybe it is a dealer recommendation due to known issues over there rather than being in the owner's manual from Honda. I've never heard it mentioned from any other part of the world. In North America it would be an expensive maintenance item, probably well over $300 for a dealer to do it, so I can't see it being part of any recommended program from Honda. It would be a lot cheaper if done yourself.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Dec 28 2010, 10:44 AM
it looks similar, not sure if it is the same size or not as the shop manual only uses approximate shapes and sizes.

I don't think Honda intended the filters to be changed on a regular basis, unless there was an issue or if the fuel tank was replaced. It looks like a lifetime filter hence the size of the filter and the location in the tank. When manufacturers have replaceable fuel filters they almost always mount them external from the tank and they are usually smaller in size. I don't know why it would be a recommended replacement part in Australia, maybe it is a dealer recommendation due to known issues over there rather than being in the owner's manual from Honda. I've never heard it mentioned from any other part of the world. In North America it would be an expensive maintenance item, probably well over $300 for a dealer to do it, so I can't see it being part of any recommended program from Honda. It would be a lot cheaper if done yourself.

It's designed to be a life-time filter. Maybe in Australia they're seeing a lot of 'dirty' gas which is forcing early replacement.

I haven't had to replace a fuel filter on a car in 20 years.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 PM

Yeah, it happens in gear. That's how I first noticed it. I just tested in in neutral and it happened as well. I don't normally rev the car that high in neurtral though, it was just a test.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Dec 28 2010, 09:44 AM

yeah, it looks like a little bit of a pain to replace cause you have to take off all those trim pieces, but the filter itself is only about $30-40. Not much.

But just to clarify, this filter in the DIY is not the same thing as the "sock" filter that people have mentioned in the car, correct?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1,Dec 29 2010, 12:56 AM
Yeah, it happens in gear. That's how I first noticed it. I just tested in in neutral and it happened as well. I don't normally rev the car that high in neurtral though, it was just a test.
I got a bunch of questions that would really help to know.

How many miles?
When did you do your valves last?
Does the valve train look good?
Has a retain cracked? Is a valve just about to drop?
When was the last time you ran a fuel cleaner?
Have you relearned the ECU recently?
How many tanks of gas have you gone through with this problem? Same place

Quick Reply: Misfire at 8-9000rpm