S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misbehaving Subframe Bolt!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misbehaving Subframe Bolt!

I have found a front subframe bolt to be the source of a creaking sound. The same loud creak can be duplicated when I try to torque the bolt down. Here is what's happening. Visually, you can see that the bolt isn't in all the way (but VERY close, about 2-3 mm), but physically, it feels REALLY tight, almost as if stuck. But then apply more force to try to torque it down, and it will suddenly break (as in the bolt will turn), along with that awful hard metal on metal grinding/creaking sound, just to stop as if it was stuck again. I repeat the process... apply more torque, bolt breaks under torque and turns a little, gets stuck again, etc. Again, visually, the bolt does not look like it's all the way in. Threads look fine and it screws in freely when it first starts going in, only when it is very close to being fully seated does it feel like it's stuck and applying torque will cause that break with the creaking sound.

I am suspecting that it may be a wrong bolt and that there is not enough thread along the length of the bolt. But I ordered a new bolt from Majestic Honda and the bolt they offered was nowhere near the dimensions of the needed bolt. Which brings me to another problem... Where in the world can I get a new bolt to replace the possible bad one? Is there something wrong with the part number Honda issued? I ordered illustration #10 in this http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...gry5=CROSS+BEAM

I used 2 washers instead of one, hoping to be able to torque it down before I reach the point of the "creaking breaking point" and the subframe no longer creaks. But I would like to fix this problem at the source/completely.

If you have a loud creaking sound that appears only during cornering, then check your subframe bolts! I've been thinking it was something with the wheel bearings for a long time. It couldn't have been a suspension problem either because that could be replicated over a speed bump.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Let me guess....right front bolt

you gotta get some penetrating oil on the threads and get it to turn smoothly...
Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 AM

I had the same problem, same bolt as well. I just retapped it and used alot of penetrating oil to remove any shavings. Not sure why it was like that, left me scratching my head.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should use a washer or to to make up for the gap.. if you torque it down further, you may run the risk of snapping the bolt in the thread which will give you more headache when it happens..
Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 AM

I had the same exact problem with the right front subframe bolt. I just thought it was cross threaded or something. But I couldnt figure out how it got cross threaded since I never removed it completely. I was following the engine swap procedure and backed it out about 4 inches. I was so pissed that I used my 3 foot breaker bar and threaded it all the way in. I was dreading changing my trans out now that it is going bad. I guess Ill add some oil.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Apr 15 2010, 05:55 AM
Let me guess....right front bolt

you gotta get some penetrating oil on the threads and get it to turn smoothly...
Hmm strange it's my left side (driver side) bolt. But I guess that doesn't really matter. I will try penetrating oil next time. But do you know why it becomes like that? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would very highly recommend you chase tap both the bolt and the hole.Blow it out with air and lubricate it with ant-seize before trying to reinstall. That would be a nasty bolt to mess up.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is ugly to break:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=760226

See last page for pics... I would take it somewhere you can leave it for a while, and where they are equipped to do a full front subframe teardown, which will be required if the bolt breaks. Based on what you've described, I would say the bolt is probably already stripped to the point that it will need to be removed, threads chased, and a new one put in.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Hold on hold on

Just re-read your post.

Answer this....the front bolts should use a 19mm socket, the middle ones should use a 19mm socket, and the rear ones should use a 17mm socket. Is this correct?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:44 PM

I don't know about the middle ones or the rear ones but the front bolt that I'm having problems with is a 21mm socket which I thought was weird. And the bolt is no more than about 4 inches long, from what I remember. I had imagined it would be longer than that. The bolt I ordered from Honda (which should be the right bolt) was a lot longer, skinnier, smaller threads, and is a 19mm socket. It wouldn't screw in at all due to how small the diameter was. How weird is that?

Marcucci, that's terrible! Did you end up getting that bolt out?

Quick Reply: Misbehaving Subframe Bolt!