S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Miniscule exhaust leak? Should I care?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miniscule exhaust leak? Should I care?

As some of you may have already been unfortunate enough to read on another thread: I'm working on fitting a 70RR on my AP2.

I've got it just about figured out, my only concern now is that the muffler is a slip-on and it currently has a very minuscule leak. I have only used a clamp to hold it in place, should I try sealant/paste on it (stainless steel). Some people have even said I shouldn't worry about it.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Well completely different scenario, but my turbo exhaust manifold had a crack in it, very small, left it for two years. Replaced it. Car feels incredible now. You may not feel a difference on a NA car, but i'm sure it makes some difference.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

if it's down by the muffler it'll have no effect on the performance of the car. how tight did you tighten the muffler clamp. some people don't tighten them enough to bend the metal to actually create a seal (you shouldn't be able to move it even after you take the clamp off you still wont be able to remove the muffler). but most mufflers have weep holes in them to let go of water that builds up in the exhaust so it won't rust it out from the inside so a little exhaust leak around the pipe isn't going to hurt it or the car. and the reason why Vinsfeld had a difference in power is because the manifold was letting out the all important pressure to spin the turbo.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by VPS_AP1
if it's down by the muffler it'll have no effect on the performance of the car. how tight did you tighten the muffler clamp. some people don't tighten them enough to bend the metal to actually create a seal (you shouldn't be able to move it even after you take the clamp off you still wont be able to remove the muffler). but most mufflers have weep holes in them to let go of water that builds up in the exhaust so it won't rust it out from the inside so a little exhaust leak around the pipe isn't going to hurt it or the car. and the reason why Vinsfeld had a difference in power is because the manifold was letting out the all important pressure to spin the turbo.

Unfortunately it's not exactly close to the back end of the exhaust, it's about two thirds to the rear, right above the rear end of the driveshaft. I had to tighten the clamp as tight as possible without breaking the stainless steel.

What do you think? Should I keep messing with it, or leave it alone?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will stop up with carbon on its own. Give it two weeks.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

unless it's really loud and noticeable I wouldn't bother with it. you can always get some copper high temp rtv and seal it if you wish that way itll be easy to clean up if you ever remove the exhaust