S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mild (as opposed to Wild) Turbo for the S

Old 03-25-2002, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you would like a relatively smooth power delivery (smoother means better acceleration )...Assuming that you would, because your focus is based on the midrange to upper hp, then I would say good tuning is absolutely necessary. Dont tell me that youre just ready to invest time and money into making a kit without having decent fuel tuning. Its just a no-brainer when you want to extract the most hp out of your application. Youve even seen how stock S2ks gain up to 15 hp or so just by the "fuel tuning" that you dont think you will need.

but hey...I could be wrong. more power to you friend.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:13 AM

Aus,

That's one hell of an endeavour you've set yourself on.... Good luck to you.

Like the others, I'd have to say you will need to tune your fuel supply. But that come in the end. First off, and as you said, you need to figure out what turbo will meet your criteria:

1) You will have to look at the F20C's head's flow throughout the operating range of the engine to determine the size of the turbine (exhaust side).

2) Then you need to find the corresponding compressor. Finding the proper A/R ratio is what you're after here.

3) If boost at low revs is what you want, with little to none at higher revs, then an efficient bypass will be necessary. A VERY efficient bypass. Otherwise, your power in the upper reaches of the powerband will be affected.

Good luck coming up with a "less expensive" system that won't hurt power up high.

I sincerely hope you succeed.

By the way, what are your plans for the manifold's manufacturing?
Old 03-26-2002, 12:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I started this as a form of pre-hands-on research.

We know the issues of 6psi at full revs. We've got the Comptech as a benchmark. What we don't know if the sort of effects on A/F and timing at mid range. If you have experience with this sort of thing your input would be greatly appreciated. If not, sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by JaminBen
Like the others, I'd have to say you will need to tune your fuel supply.
What issues do I have to face. I plan to use a device like the GhostBooster to get the right signal from the MAP. And a bigger fuel pump and regulator to make sure what the ECU requests, it gets.

The grey area for me is what happens at 4-5K under full revs? Will the ECU be able to see the air mass and supply adequate fuel, or will it run lean. I would really like to further this part of the discussion rather than just say "You need fuel tuning".

1) You will have to look at the F20C's head's flow throughout the operating range of the engine to determine the size of the turbine (exhaust side).
I would have thought that had already been done. I'm taking this project to a shop that does a lot of MX5 turbos and did one of the earliest S2000 turbos (on a JDM 11.7:1 c/r S), way before Speedcraft or Comptech started mucking around with hairdryers. Will be interesting to see what they say.

2) Then you need to find the corresponding compressor. Finding the proper A/R ratio is what you're after here.
Yep. What does A/R stand for and how do you calculate the correct sort of ratio for your requirements?

3) If boost at low revs is what you want, with little to none at higher revs, then an efficient bypass will be necessary.
I actually want to have the same boost from 3k up. Capped at 6psi. A very efficient external wastegate is the idea, with a blow off valve just in case.

Good luck coming up with a "less expensive" system that won't hurt power up high.
Thanks. I don't think "less expensive" is the problem. It's practicality that is the issue.

By the way, what are your plans for the manifold's manufacturing?
Welded stainless, equal length pipes. That's all I can say at this point.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:18 AM

Well, you would only use a wastegate to cap where to cut boost. A BPV or BOV only let's the pressure out so that the air isn't stuck between the turbo and throttle, so that the turbo doesn't get damaged from excessive back pressure.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by integrate
A BPV or BOV only let's the pressure out so that the air isn't stuck between the turbo and throttle, so that the turbo doesn't get damaged from excessive back pressure.
Sure, but in a situation like this where you are a bit pressure sensitive and have reached full boost at 3K but can rev to 9K if the bypass were to fail for whatever reason a BOV set to 7psi is a nice safety.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by AusS2000

...if the bypass were to fail for whatever reason a BOV set to 7psi is a nice safety.
I thought Integrate just explained what the BOV does.
Probably you should run an external wastegate at 6 psi and an integral wastegate at 7 psi.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:41 AM

Aus,
I was under the impression that you were talking about a turbo... that's why I mentioned the intercooler. You keep using Comptech as a reference... I'm sure you're aware that while a turbo and an SC are both FI... they do not operate under the same principal. So... if you're considering turbocharging, then the fact that Comptech's Supercharger doesn't use an intercooler should have absolutely zero impact on any turbo set up. I guess the only way for you to see is to try it yourself and you'll learn what I already know... got to have an intercooler.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by derryck
I guess the only way for you to see is to try it yourself and you'll learn what I already know... got to have an intercooler.
Hey, educate me! What is it with you goes stating platitudes but then being coy about backing them up?

Both the Comptech and a turbo use a radial compressor (unlike a Sprintex). The pressure increases geometrically with the RPM of the compressor. The difference is that the turbo's RPM is not directly linked to the crank. It is a result of the exhaust gases passing the turbine. The only difference I can see in practical terms is that you will reach the desired pressure much earlier and use a wastegate to cap it. So at 3K you will have 6 psi with the turbo and bugger all with the Comtech SC. At 6K you will have 6psi with the trubo and 3psi with the SC. At 9K you will have 6psi with the turbo and 6psi with the SC.

Fact is derryck you have more recent experience in this technology than I do, but unless you are going to actually share it your feedback is less than constructive.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:42 PM

I think an intercooler is more necessairy because with the comptech supercharger it uses the intake air so it might cool the air more, however the turbo is run by the exhuast gases which are already hot making MORE hot compressed air. Also do you see MANY supercharger kits with intercoolers? Most of the time no. Do you see most turbokits with intercoolers? Yes. Why do you think the Volkswagen 1.8T engines have an intercooler stock. Also even the lancer evolution has an intercooler. In my OPINION even thought the boost is low, id still get an intercooler for safety precautions because i wouldnt want to mess up my engine in the future.

Quick Reply: Mild (as opposed to Wild) Turbo for the S