S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mild (as opposed to Wild) Turbo for the S

Old 03-21-2002, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very interested in this. Kepp us posted on the progress. Oh, and please make an intercooler available as an option.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:16 PM

My other car is a VW Passat with the 1.8 Turbo. It is a very small unit (KO3) and puts out about 6 psi in stock form and 11 psi with a chipped ecu. Very reliable and very little turbo lag. This might be what your looking for.

JPit
Old 03-22-2002, 02:49 AM

I would not use KKK's turbos. As quick as they are to spool, it is mostly due to their small size more than their advanced technology. K03's use technology that has been around for years. Also, note how sharply power drops off near redline on dyno charts 1.8 T VW and Audi cars (of course some of this is due to VW's retardation of ignition timing, intentional lowering of boost near redline, and very mild cams...however,even with a chip to cure these, torque begins to drop significantly after 5000 rpms or so...I dont think it can handle 9000 rpms) Many of Garrett's turbo's are larger and spool just as quick. Perhaps something like a T3/T4 hybrid would be better?
Old 03-22-2002, 03:30 AM

A local shop in Brisbane Motson's is doing a one off locally for $10000AUD all inclusive.

I spoke to one of the engineer's a Motson's and he told me that the install is going to run at 12psi and double stock power. He says other people can get the same gains cheaper but without the reliabality.

I take his word because a group of my friends have always had their car' modified by Motson's and have never experienced any problems. The only problem is that the first car is going to have to be off the road for two months so that they can custom make the piping.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds great, and there are a few around of that ilk, but that's not what this project is about.

I'm guessing their priorities are:
High peak
Low QTR's

Fair enough

My priorities are:
Improve low down torque
Reliability

What are they going to do to combat detonation? Aftermarket ECU? Thicker head gasket? How will it drive 0-6000 rpm? And when they get 480hp, how long is the engine and drive train going to last.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against their project. If they can afford to do it, I'm envious. What I'm looking at is exactly what the title says: Mild rather than wild, both in performance and price. FI for the rest of us.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:47 AM

AusS2000,
I think you will have a problem trying to run a turbo with no intercooler on this car. We (Speedcraft... not really me) found the S2 to be extremely temperature sensitive and the turbo doesn't exactly run cold. Speedcraft uses a large efficient intercooler to help combat temps for a reason. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor but I really don't think a non-intercooled turbo is an option for this car.
Old 03-22-2002, 02:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not really a case of 'not running an intercooler'. More a case of running an intercooler if it's required at the boost levels we are talking about.

Comptech get away with 6psi with no intercooler. Granted a turbo is exhaust driven and hence transfers some of this heat, but it remains to be seen how much.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:16 PM

I was also thinking about this exact thing AUs! a small turbo that would boost about 5psi low end, and with an external wastegate you could just let the extra boost flow out to no where. Maybe if there was a hood with a scoop we could devise some sort of TMIC - if thats any easier to do? My goal was also looking for a way to increase power low end - but not at the sacrifice of reliability. I think with about 5 psi of boost the car would be in perfect working order, and it seems that when our cars get TOO much power/boost we have to replace just about everything.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Comptech get away with 6psi with no intercooler. Granted a turbo is exhaust driven and hence transfers some of this heat, but it remains to be seen how much.
Most of the higher temperature of the intake charge is due to comression only. Boyles law says PV=nRT, so basically if you double the charge pressure (as my WRX does) you should expect a doubling of the temperature in Kelvin. That's from about 300K to 600K which is 327
Old 03-23-2002, 03:06 AM

Hey Aus,

Thought I'd chime in on this one. You may want to consider a TD-05 turbo (same as those found in lancer EVO VI's. They're small and spool up quick, which I guess is what you're looking for.

As for detonation, thicker head gasket's are apparently already available in Japan, and I read somewhere that some japanese workshops are/were using 2 factory headgaskets to combat detonation. A workshop in australia actually used an extra injector to combat detonation (550cc injector)

I also read somewhere that if more than 6psi of boost is planned the injectors need to be replaced.

A company in Perth called Xspeed has developed a turbo S2000 using a TD-05, intercooler, HKS FCON V piggyback computer. They found (quote), "that even without the F-CON computer, boost levels of up to 9psi were being regularly produced without any detonation. We've seen maximum boost to date produced by 2800rpm, but the ignition timing had to be retarded so badly that it was defeating the purpose of the turbocharger." I guess with that in mind a thicker headgasket is a must, and the option of an intercooler isn't really an option.

An engine with an 11:1 compression ratio is a bit much for a cheap/reliable turbocharger conversion. But if there is a way, here's to hoping you find it Aus!

wil..

Quick Reply: Mild (as opposed to Wild) Turbo for the S