S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

might have put to much oil in car?

Old 03-17-2004, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default might have put to much oil in car?

My mechanic did an oil change for me like 2 months ago and he put in 6 quarts of Mobil 1 Sync and yesterday I did my own oil change and also put in 6 quarts of Mobil 1. I should have read the how to section prior to doing this because in the article it states that I need 5 quartz of Motor oil.

The car seems to run fine, but I need to know it is important that I drain the oil and put in 5 quartz or will 6 quartz cause some type of major engine damage?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2004, 04:45 AM

it's not a good thing to have too much oil in the engine. why? ummm ... someone explained it to me before, but i honestly can't remember.

but i think if you take off your oil filter while the car is off, that might be an easy way to drain enough oil out. then put your oil filter back on, clean up your mess, and start the car. after it cycles the oil through, stop the car, give a few minutes for the oil to settle and check to see if that took enough out.

of course, this could be one of those times where you hope your car is burning oil too.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, only 2 months between oil changes! You must drive a lot of miles.

With your car sitting level, check the oil level with your dipstick. If there is oil over the H mark, your crankcase is over filled and you should drain some out (no need to replace it). This is because excessive amount of oil in the crancase can get whipped up into a froth by the crank (aeration of the oil) and then will not properly lubricate the engine.

When I do an oil and oil filter change, it takes 5.5 quarts of oil to fill her back up, so the situation may not be as bad as you think.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, I always need to put 5.5 qts in too. So if you are 6 qts full and you are consuming it will probably not be enough over to do any damage. Still, put the correct amount in from now on (<5.5).
Old 03-17-2004, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your MPG since overfilling with oil makes you burn more gas, but I don't think it will be such a problem since the S2000 in some cases burns a little of oil. Try to measure how much oil your car burns between oil changes.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First, check the level. If it's more than the equivalent of a couple of "X's" above the full mark, then drain some. Just undo the drain plug when the oil is cold and be ready to screw it back in when you've let out about 1/2 a qt. Since you haven't started the car, you can just check the level again. I wouldn't trust unscrewing the filter and putting it back on. It might not hold the second time around.
Sure, you can just leave it but you better drive like a granny and keep the revs low till you use up the excess oil. But then, most S2000's don't consume oil hardly at all when NOT in VTEC. And VTEC with an overfill is NOT what you want to be doing.
From now on, when you do an oil and filter change, put in 5 qts, run the car for a few minutes, check the oil level. If it's within the hash marks, just drive it for the day and top up the next morning when all the oil has settled.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:25 AM

I wouldn't worry about it to much just maybe drain out a little of the oil. Most guys are right we usually use 5.5quarts everytime we do an oil change. Just drain out about .5 quarts and you will be ok.

-Alan
Old 03-17-2004, 08:50 PM

Thanks everyone, I think I will just drain a half quart, I think this will make me feel a lot better since I'm always hitting vtec.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you drain any oil, please check the level. If your car has already consumed oil, it may not be necessary to drain it and you certainly don't want to drive the car with an insufficient amount.

Please let us know what your oil level is.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:47 AM

Pull out the PCV valve and check the air intake passages if you can if you want to see the impact of overfilling on the oil.

Quick Reply: might have put to much oil in car?