S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Metal on Metal Noise After Sitting A Few Days

Old 01-14-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nvrquit4,Jan 14 2006, 12:53 PM
I'm planning on having the jets replaced while they're in there doing the bolts. Had a friend's S crap out right after we did the bolts.
I'm curious ..........................
Changing the jets to new ones or different ones?
Did the engine crap out because of something related to the bolts?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

new ones.

After the bolt install his oil light kept coming on. He took it to the dealership and it turns out one of the jets failed. Freak thing according to Honda but since you're going to be in there and the jets fit around the bolts why not put in new ones? The jets are less than $10/each.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nvrquit4,Jan 14 2006, 01:24 PM
new ones.

After the bolt install his oil light kept coming on. He took it to the dealership and it turns out one of the jets failed. Freak thing according to Honda but since you're going to be in there and the jets fit around the bolts why not put in new ones? The jets are less than $10/each.
It may have been that the jet nozzle base was not seated into its positioning notch. This would prevent the jet and bolt to fully seat and make a proper seal. Oil would then squirt out at the base of the jet and not at the tip where it needs to be. This may also have provided a "leak" in the system, thus causing the low pressure light to come on. A "failed" jet, to me, would indicate one that didn't pump oil due to a restriction. This would have increased oil pressure, not lowered it to get a light to come on.
I would advise that when you do yours, to take careful note of this positioning notch and to ensure that the jet base and bolt head are perfectly flush with each other and with the underside of the block. The torque for this bolt is very small and not enough to give you any sort of "feel" that something is not seating correctly.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 AM

thanks - I'm actually going to have a local recommended shop do mine. since they have the proper tools and knowledge. If I recall correctly Honda said my friend's either was stuck open or shut. I forget which.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, i get the same exact thing, but i only get it during very cold mornings... hmmm, maybe i need to replace the oil banjo bolts next...
Old 01-14-2006, 02:38 PM

OK, I think that paranoia is begining to surface here, so I better clarify something now. This whole banjo bolt thing is getting way out of hand. It is unlikely that this is the reason why anyone's motor is making this noise. Do people even know what these things do before you start to freak out about it? You can easily seek out this information.
I'll just say that these new bolts were put into service because of the typical way that Europeans tend to drive their cars - sustained high speed, high rpm running. Honda felt that the newer oiljet bolts were needed to alter the spray pattern of the oil. This was not deemed necessary for N. American cars. Those who typically stress their engines like Forced Induction or lengthy track use, may elect to replace the older bolts with the revised ones.

So, let's address the original poster's "noise". I asked why he used "Prolong", for which he did not respond (I had a reason for asking this). Prolong has been known to thin out the engine oil. It also claims to coat metal parts (which is still somewhat suspect but hey, let's give them that). Now, on an engine that's 120K miles old, thinning oil is not a good thing and also, leaving it parked for a few days allows much of the oil to fall to the oil pan. If Prolong makes the metal parts "slipperer", then the oil could fall off them easier. Sitting for a few days and then starting it up will necessitate the oil to be pumped back up and into all the places it needs to be. The first second or so after a cold start after sitting for that length of time, you are getting more unoiled metal contact. Now, if the noise didn't go away even after the oil circulates, then there may be a problem. But this is not the case.
Also, on an engine that high in mileage, there is the good possibility of the existence of "piston slap". Oil starvation on start up will also make this very prevalent. As soon as the oil begins to circulate, piston slap usually stops.
For the original poster, I would suggest trying dino oil on the next change (10W30 or even 10W40 if it's not too cool outside where you live). Stop using engine additives like Prolong. As far as people have been able to determine in real life, those things do nothing and may actually cause harm. Don't worry about piston slap. Many 4 cyl. engines (especially Hondas) are known for this. It's not a problem. As you've already stated, your car runs smooth except for this little quirt. Continue to take care of your car as you have been doing. I expect it to continue giving you many, many more 10's of thousands of carefree, enjoyable motoring.

For the rest of you, don't pick out one thing and jump on some bandwagon that hasn't really left the station yet.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:57 AM

Thanks xviper. I'm doing the banjo bolts because the car will be on the track more starting this year. Doing that plus an oil catch can and a couple other minor protection upgrades is all I have planned.

blackdragon - VERY glad to hear you have twice as many miles on your car as me. I thought I had quite a few after 5 years as a daily driver. Sounds like your car is near perfect. Congratulations!