S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Metal lumps in oil pan - non magnetic

Old 09-08-2015, 07:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Well, since they're not magnetic, they'd have nothing to do with the rods or rod caps. Piston skirts MAYBE, but I highly doubt it.

Missed the magnetic part. Scratch that.

Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. Really appreciate it.

It seems that the only way to find out what went wrong is to strip apart the engine.

So now I have two choices.

1) Let the engine run as it is and when it fails, get a used engine.

2) Strip the engine and while its all opened up might as well do the CNC speedshop F24 conversion.

What do you guys suggest. Especially any experience with the CNC F24 kit is highly appreciated.

Once again, I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Thanks

Originally Posted by windhund116
I'd run the usual engine tests, keep an eye on the spark plug conditions, and check oil usage. If all is ok, let sleeping dogs lie.

Looking at the debris, it seems there is some brass objects mixed in with the aluminum blobs. Thin, stamped things. Like part of an electric connection. You never dropped something like this into the oil filler cap, by accident, any time in the past? Maybe, the previous owner?

Good luck with the engine!
I'd do the same if it were me. No need to go taking apart a perfectly good running engine, unless you have plans.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

Id just run it and count your blessings, you seemed to have dodged a bullet.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Of all the things I've seen in an S2000 oilpan, this is a first.

Is the entire engine 100% oem? As mentioned, Megan mounts are replica to oem so there's no issue there.

Feel free to mail me the pieces for inspection, I'll return them
Old 09-08-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
I'd run the usual engine tests, keep an eye on the spark plug conditions, and check oil usage. If all is ok, let sleeping dogs lie.

Looking at the debris, it seems there is some brass objects mixed in with the aluminum blobs. Thin, stamped things. Like part of an electric connection. You never dropped something like this into the oil filler cap, by accident, any time in the past? Maybe, the previous owner?

Good luck with the engine!
Thanks for the advice. I never dropped anything in the engine. Cannot say anything about previous owners.

Originally Posted by rmerchant3
I'd do the same if it were me. No need to go taking apart a perfectly good running engine, unless you have plans.
I am really tempted to get the CNC F24 stroker.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Id just run it and count your blessings, you seemed to have dodged a bullet.
Thanks. You are absolutely correct. I am really happy that the engine is still running.

Originally Posted by Billman250
Of all the things I've seen in an S2000 oilpan, this is a first.

Is the entire engine 100% oem? As mentioned, Megan mounts are replica to oem so there's no issue there.

Feel free to mail me the pieces for inspection, I'll return them
The engine is OEM. The cleaners disposed the pieces. I will try to find them again and send them to you. You can keep them as souvenirs.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say with no bad sounds or loss of power you're in good shape to just leave it alone. I work as a service engineer for a diesel engine manufacturer and of course we don't use aluminum blocks but I've seen plenty of instances of casting slag in the oil pan. they put mag plugs in the oil pan and oil pick up tube screens in there for a reason lol.

is this your daily?

If it is and you want the stroker kit, I'd go ahead and get another block and start building that just incase you need to make a hasty swap just incase some of this metal finds its way to your combustion chamber.

just my .2c . good luck with it though. doesn't seem like anything major to me.