S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Metal lumps in oil pan - non magnetic

Old 09-07-2015, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Megan Racing mounts
Old 09-07-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Post some more zoomed-in (and please in focus) pictures of the parts, also of the one you flattened.
In various positions.
Is the oil pan still off?

Old 09-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm almost wondering if these are just casting abnormalities with the block that eventually worked themselves loose? I know on a couple occasions when I've been building one of these engines I've found some "slag" hanging off a part of the block that I could break loose with my hand, although it was never anything this chunky or thick.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

These being the shape that they are, look like they have been rolling around in the oil pan for a long time. They didn't start out looking this way, where ever they came from. I tend to agree with the poster above, possibly even the oil pan itself?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like the T-1000 terminator found his way in your oil pan.

I would peak up around the piston skirt area the base of the cylinder walls and see if anything looks off in that area. Also check the rod end caps and connecting rods.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, since they're not magnetic, they'd have nothing to do with the rods or rod caps. Piston skirts MAYBE, but I highly doubt it.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Post some more zoomed-in (and please in focus) pictures of the parts, also of the one you flattened.
In various positions.
Is the oil pan still off?

I am sorry but someone cleaned the shop and I have lost the lumps. The oil pan is back on. The engine is running fine and smooth. So abnormal noise or vibration etc.

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
I'm almost wondering if these are just casting abnormalities with the block that eventually worked themselves loose? I know on a couple occasions when I've been building one of these engines I've found some "slag" hanging off a part of the block that I could break loose with my hand, although it was never anything this chunky or thick.
I hope so.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
These being the shape that they are, look like they have been rolling around in the oil pan for a long time. They didn't start out looking this way, where ever they came from. I tend to agree with the poster above, possibly even the oil pan itself?
That makes sense. They are nice and shiny as if they have been places.

Originally Posted by rmerchant3
Looks like the T-1000 terminator found his way in your oil pan.

I would peak up around the piston skirt area the base of the cylinder walls and see if anything looks off in that area. Also check the rod end caps and connecting rods.
We looked around the bottom end and didn't see anything abnormal. Also, opened the head cover and looked inside the cylinders with an endoscope and the cylinder walls are fine as well.

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Well, since they're not magnetic, they'd have nothing to do with the rods or rod caps. Piston skirts MAYBE, but I highly doubt it.
We looked up the bottom and didn't see anything abnormal. But we are not 100% sure.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. Really appreciate it.

It seems that the only way to find out what went wrong is to strip apart the engine.

So now I have two choices.

1) Let the engine run as it is and when it fails, get a used engine.

2) Strip the engine and while its all opened up might as well do the CNC speedshop F24 conversion.

What do you guys suggest. Especially any experience with the CNC F24 kit is highly appreciated.

Once again, I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 05:14 AM

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I'd run the usual engine tests, keep an eye on the spark plug conditions, and check oil usage. If all is ok, let sleeping dogs lie.

Looking at the debris, it seems there is some brass objects mixed in with the aluminum blobs. Thin, stamped things. Like part of an electric connection. You never dropped something like this into the oil filler cap, by accident, any time in the past? Maybe, the previous owner?

Good luck with the engine!

Quick Reply: Metal lumps in oil pan - non magnetic