S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Metal lumps in oil pan - non magnetic

Old 09-06-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I though Megan mounts were just stiffer versions of OEM mounts, not like Innovative which caused the bolt issue. I don't think you have any worries with Megan mounts, but it would be good to know where that came from. I suppose it could have been something during the assembly.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I though Megan mounts were just stiffer versions of OEM mounts, not like Innovative which caused the bolt issue. I don't think you have any worries with Megan mounts, but it would be good to know where that came from. I suppose it could have been something during the assembly.
The mount bolts are two different lengths. Very similar but slightly different. If you switch the longer bolt to the shorter hole it will cause this.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

They look polished and rounded, as if they have been there for a while rolling around.
Can you puzzle any of them together?
The biggest piece looks like the edges are not rounded by rolling around but a proper radius.
Can you cut them, are they soft?
And what if you try to flatten them, does that work?
Does it flatten into one piece or does it turn to "dust" or crumbles?

It looks like aluminum and if it kinda crumbles if you try to flatten it I would say it's cast aluminum = block.
If it flattens without crumbling it could be from machined aluminum parts like the TCT.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

One more thing I'd do is take off the oil filter and take it a part. See if any thing is in the pleats. If the oil filter is clean then that means you most likely have just those big peices. When something goes bad you get a lot of flakes that the oil filter will pick up.
If you use a Honda oil filter it should look like the middle one in this pic. Spread the pleats apart to get a good look at the bottom of the pleats. I would first wrap a paper towel around the pleats to soak up the oil(it will not remove any debris from the pleats).

The filter on the right is a Wix(for the S) and the filter on the left is the one I use on my S.

ROD
Old 09-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by Sideways' timestamp='1441559142' post='23738700
[quote name='bgoetz' timestamp='1441558844' post='23738696']
The mount bolts are two different lengths. Very similar but slightly different. If you switch the longer bolt to the shorter hole it will cause this.
^ Yes that is it, that could be a possible issue.
[/quote]

As stated, Megans are OEM replacements and don't require bracket changes like the Innovative. So theres no chance the fragments are related to mount installation.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1441571407' post='23738847
[quote name='Sideways' timestamp='1441559142' post='23738700']
[quote name='bgoetz' timestamp='1441558844' post='23738696']
^ Yes that is it, that could be a possible issue.
[/quote]

As stated, Megans are OEM replacements and don't require bracket changes like the Innovative. So theres no chance the fragments are related to mount installation.
[/quote]

That was my thought, thanks for confirming. It was the Inovative that had the longer bolts.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:10 PM

As polished as those are I am thinking they are part of a piston. They didn't get that way from being in the engine, how ever they got there they likely found their way into the bottom of the pan rather quickly and remained there until you found them.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 444 Likes on 367 Posts

Part of the skirt?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciate it. I looked into the oil filter and there was nothing in it. But I didn't cat it open and disposed it.

I cannot puzzle them together. Some of them have well rounded edges and some of them have sharp edges. The metal is soft. I hammered it and it crumbled. So it seems that the lumps are form the engine block.

I will get the engine mounts checked ASAP.

Thanks for all the help and guidance guys. Really appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:24 AM

If you have Megan mounts your fine. If you have Innovative you could have an issue.

Quick Reply: Metal lumps in oil pan - non magnetic