S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

messed up my oil change

Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed up my oil change

instead of going into a long elaborate story ill tell it short and not so sweet.

live in near chicago where its 16 degrees right now. my car needed an oil change. just so happened i didnt have a garage to do it in, so outside it was. i had a friend help to speed up the overall process being that its so cold outside and he was the one who put the oil drain plug back in (my mistake ). he/we/i/me forgot to make sure the washer was on the plug. i realized this only after he told me....an hour later...

right now i have the car sitting on some cardboard to see if it leaking at this point. oil levels on dickstick are still good.

should i just redo the oil change and make sure i get that on? Or...should i wait to see if it leaks and if it doesnt just call it good (obviously checking oil levels on fillups like i do now).

any input would be appreciated

chicago winter
Old 01-29-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just redo it, god forbid that plug vibrates loose....you are going to be crying
Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 AM

if its not leaking just make sure its on there good and leave it. of course check your fluids and where you park to make sure it isnt leaking and next oil change put it back on. thats what i personally would do
Old 01-29-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would buy a new drain pan and put the drain plug on correctly. This way you can re use the new oil and have peace of mind. You can check for leaks and what not, but what if it comes off while drving.that would suck.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NFRAP1,Jan 29 2007, 11:31 AM
I would buy a new drain pan and put the drain plug on correctly. This way you can re use the new oil and have peace of mind. You can check for leaks and what not, but what if it comes off while drving.that would suck.
Buy a new drain pan because of a forgotten washer? I'd like some of what you're on.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by onfire01,Jan 29 2007, 03:11 PM
Buy a new drain pan because of a forgotten washer? I'd like some of what you're on.
Maybe he sells oil pans for a living?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by DaveOnLI,Jan 29 2007, 12:17 PM
Maybe he sells oil pans for a living?

To the OP, I would not buy a new pan. I think it is a toss up for you to decide. Either pay for some new oil (unless you think you can catch it and keep it clean) OR Watch for leaks and remember next time.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:41 AM

hey guys thanks for the comments. i appreciate everyones opinions.

The car has sat for 5ish hours now with zero leakage.

as for buying a new drain pan, i really think that is valid....i have multiple vehicles and a bike and not just used engine oil has gone into it...so pouring "clean" oil into that and then pouring that back into my car would probably not be my first choice...

for right now....its too cold to do the work again. i think on my next day off (probably not for another 10 days atleast) i will be getting a new pan, and redoing it then if the weather is permitting.

I thought the washers were made to prevent leaks, i wouldnt imagine without one the bolt will loosen enough to fall out? i actually would think it would be opposite where it would be real hard to get the bolt off in the future?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 AM

just take the plug out and stick your finger in the hole!!

pass someone the plug have them slide the new washer on and then put it back in!!

the most oil u should loose is a half quart to a quart
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me......

Friend and I were changing the oil on our cars and he "did me a favor" and put the drain plug back in (minus the washer).

I left it washer-less until the next change while periodically checking for leakage. No problem in my case....... YMMV

Quick Reply: messed up my oil change