S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Messed up Clutch?

Old 11-24-2005, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up Clutch?

Greetings,

I would like to preface this with the fact that this is my first manual transmission car.

I've got 13k miles on my '05, and within the last month or so, my clutch started (all of a sudden) feeling much more slippery than it ever has. I get much less grabby clutch action on shifts, they're all smooth and buttery, and I find it hard to believe that I got just that much better at rev matching all of a sudden (I do try to match of course).

Today, I tried a high speed freeway run and was having trouble accellerating as fast as I could before in 5th and 6th (it seemed that 120mph came a lot slower than it used to). Later when I got home, I was parking in reverse and heard a crunching noise at the point where the clutch starts catching, never heard that before.

My clutch engages just a inch or so from the top of the pedal action, is that normal?

Does it sound like a clutch problem? What are some good tests I can do to see if there really is a problem here? Is it quite out of the ordinary to have a 13k mile clutch start wearing out?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-25-2005, 12:38 PM

No. Try putting your car in 4th with the emergency brake on run it up to about 5k rpm and let the clutch out slowly. DO NOT DO THIS FOR LONG. If the motor is still turning the clutch is fried.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Empedocles99,Nov 25 2005, 12:14 AM
this is my first manual transmission car.

I've got my '05, and within the last month or so, my clutch started (all of a sudden) feeling much more slippery than it ever has.
First manual car and and MY05 with a delay valve....you have probably fried your clutch...

The smell should tell you something...
Old 11-26-2005, 03:21 AM

It doesn't really smell now, or in general.

I made it smell a few times when learning last year.

If I really have fried it, would it smell now?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:19 AM

How is driveablility in the low speeds? When you get on it say in 2nd do you feel any grunt or does it feel like your flooring it and not going anywhere. That is usually a good sign that something is not right. by the way if your clutch was seriously fried you would have trouble driving up hills or even out of your driveway.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:21 AM

find a hill , while going up it keep the car at 3k or so then step on it, if the revs go up and the car doesnt move with the revs then the clutch is bad.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:53 AM

Hmm, no trouble driving up hills either. I am probably overreacting.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:32 PM

hmm, check your clutch fluid, maybe bleed the system, yu could have air in the line so its acting funny. What do you mean you heard a crunching noise when you were backing up? was it like a gear grind cruntch or like something breaking? my friend had a 04 and with less than 600 miles on it the flywheel actually came loose and messed up the crank, clutch, pressure plate and tranny. we believe his car was built on a friday at 6 oclock
Old 11-26-2005, 12:40 PM

The car was in gear, and as I slowly let the clutch up to start moving, it made a crunching noise at the engagement point.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:48 PM

hmm... either you ran something over while backing up or theres something wrong, as much as i hate dealerships since the car is still under warranty i would take it in and tell them what it is doing, but do not tell them it was your first manual car or else they will blame the problem on you, never give them incriminating evidence.

Quick Reply: Messed up Clutch?