S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Messed my s up bad

Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hating (in this case)= giving a lecture and ridiculing a poster instead of answering his question.

oh, and I'm sure you've never spun your tires... especially on a 1-2 shift.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1,Jul 5 2006, 02:27 PM
Have you ever broke anything on your drivetrain, vader? If you haven't then you have no ground to stand on except the stuff you've read on here.
Have I broken the drivetrain? No. I guess if I would break five I would be real smart, and if mine still works that means I don't know how to take care of it.

Your logic is stupid. If a guy sticks a cherry bomb up his dogs butt and the dog gets hurt, apparently you can comment on it unless you have been smart enough to do the same thing.

I know that putting mountain dew in my gas tank will hurt it, but according to your logic, I can't say that unless I actually try to burn a tank of it and break the car.

I would think that someone who has not done something stupid and broken his car might have credibilty versus someone who wanted to do a burnout and broke it. But this apparently is bizzaro world.

If somebody does something stupid, chances are, stupid people will jump in and defend it. He can do what he wants to his car. He can break it 1000 times if he wants to. Fine with me.

But are you so obtuse that you can not figure out that burnouts can break things? If you were doing burnouts and broke something, I doubt you would post questions about what everyone thought would be wrong with the car. You'd already have a good idea. Duh.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1,Jul 5 2006, 02:27 PM

And what would break that would cost 4k to fix from clutch dumps? A diff is 800 used and axles are like 100....
You also think that a guy who fries his stuff with a 7000 rpm dump and then has no clue what might be wrong will be able to do his own work? Sure.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Ek9
Banned

I think this really falls under the "Hitting a guy when he's down" catagory.

There's a difference between:

"It's probably your axles or diff"

and

"Hey, only an idiot would do that".

OP ALREADY knows he did something stupid. What pleasure do you get out of rubbing it in his face?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1,Jul 5 2006, 01:36 PM
Hating (in this case)= giving a lecture and ridiculing a poster instead of answering his question.

oh, and I'm sure you've never spun your tires... especially on a 1-2 shift.
Asking why is a lecture?

He did 7000 rpm and dropped the clutch in first gear, this is not shifting 1-2.

To quote the original poster:
Got a level 2 ACT clutch and Flywheel put in about a month ago. 55k miles. 18 inch 265 y rated tires.

Yesterday, went to do a launch/Burnout....

and dropped the clutch at 7k, and loud clunk and no power.

Now, If in gear it sounds like something is spinning at the front of the car, around where my feet are.

Figured broken drive shaft at the clutch?

Any ideas...i am waiting to hear what the shop says......
My response included:
Please tell us when you find out what you broke. My bet is on the pinion but it could be several different things.
Is that not an answer?

As for the agressive clutch, I feel it will make a difference. We could debate this point.

And, for the record, I have never dropped the clutch at 7000 rpm while at a standstill in my S.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is dragging on, carry it over to PM or MSN.

Good luck with the fix
Old 07-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=Ek9,Jul 6 2006, 12:25 AM] That's not my point.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Ek9
Banned

My track car's constantly in the air. Tires, Brakes, fluid changes, pads, rotors. New bushings when the old ones get sloppy. Wheel bearings when I suspect they're close. I do pre-emptive maintainance sometimes so, I know I won't have any issues on the track. So far I haven't (knock on wood). All I need is to hit a wall because a wheel bearing siezes.

I suspect you're just using selective memory to prove a point. You probably take just as good a care of your machine as I do mine (if not better) which means you work on it all the time.

Accelerate maintaince just proves my point. You have to do more to maintain the car because driving on the track is so hard on it. Most people can go 3 years on brake fluid. I might go 3 months at most.

I don't think you're trying to say your maintainance schedule's the same as if it was just a commuter car are you?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Tracking is not abuse. It's what the car was designed to do. So it wears on it a little more than normal driving. Point is, it's not a normal driving type of car, it's a roadster/sports car.

It was not meant to come out of the hole at high rpm's and stay together.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ek9,Jul 6 2006, 11:09 AM
I suspect you're just using selective memory to prove a point.
If you can't understand my previous post then it's never going to get through your thick skull.

Yes, I monitor my cars condition and maintain it. The difference is I have never had a part go from 100% to 0% with a loud bang because regardless of what I do with my car I do it with respect not abuse.

By your logic doing a 7000rpm clutch drop is the same as not driving the car at all. Even standing still the car will rust, so it's the same thing, only slower.

I may be using selective memory, but at least I'm not hanging on belligerantly to a losing argument.

Quick Reply: Messed my s up bad