S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Messed my s up bad

Old 07-04-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ek9,Jul 5 2006, 12:38 PM
I guess you're right, driving on the track is JUST like commuting to work. It has no affect on the wear and tear of a supercar like the S2000.
Here's the thing. I'm turbo, have a hi-po clutch and frequently track my car. I run 18s at 265 on the rear on the road and R-specs on the track. But my diff and drivetrain is still in good working condition. So saying tracking is the same as abuse just doesn't hold true.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jul 4 2006, 10:13 PM
Here's the thing. I'm turbo, have a hi-po clutch and frequently track my car. I run 18s at 265 on the rear on the road and R-specs on the track. But my diff and drivetrain is still in good working condition. So saying tracking is the same as abuse just doesn't hold true.
would have to agree.. i drive agreesive and with my mod list see its very attainable to do the same thing, you just have to be a little more proactive...I.E. dont power shift...clutch dump
Old 07-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not my point. I said when you track your S2000 you're tearing it up just like this id..person did but, you're doing it over a longer period. Your bushings, brakes, suspension, motor, wheel bearings are all taking a beating. You FI people are tearing the engines up even faster.

Accelerated wear is what I'm talking about. I'll be willing to bet a single day, 4 20 minute sessions at the track is the same wear as 6 months to a year of normal driving.

I track my car too. I know what a beating the chassis and engine takes.

I'm not criticising you for tracking your car. I'm criticising you for giving this guy a hard time when you're doing the same thing but, at a slower pace.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ek9,Jul 5 2006, 06:25 AM
That's not my point. I said when you track your S2000 you're tearing it up just like this id..person did but, you're doing it over a longer period. Your bushings, brakes, suspension, motor, wheel bearings are all taking a beating. You FI people are tearing the engines up even faster.

Accelerated wear is what I'm talking about. I'll be willing to bet a single day, 4 20 minute sessions at the track is the same wear as 6 months to a year of normal driving.

I track my car too. I know what a beating the chassis and engine takes.

I'm not criticising you for tracking your car. I'm criticising you for giving this guy a hard time when you're doing the same thing but, at a slower pace.

When you drop the clutch at high rpm, you are putting tremendous force on the drivetrain that isn't reinforced for that type of abuse.

The chassis/brakes/suspension/engine are designed to handle track use from the factory I might add.

Both will wear out parts greater then normal use
Old 07-05-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jul 4 2006, 02:29 PM
I think your problem is with the nut that holds the wheel.
101%
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways,Jul 4 2006, 03:24 PM
Everybody knows the drivetrain is weak in the S2000. So let me understand this, you get an aftermarket stronger clutch, larger stickier rear tires, rev it up to 7000 rpm and dump the clutch. Allow me to ask the hard question. WHY? Are you trying to win the Darwin award?

Please tell us when you find out what you broke. My bet is on the pinion but it could be several different things.
great more hating!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Seriously, drive your car like you like to. Shoot, I've been doing drag launches with 265 r-compound tires for the last year and a half. I'm prepared for the consequences. It's just broken stuff. BTW, I've done hundrees of clutch dumps and have only broken a driver side axle.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I think some of you are missing the point. The original question could be put this way,

"Hey guys, I just took the weak point of my car and changed the set up to put more stress on it. The I went out and tried to do something that would most likely break it. Then it broke. What do you guys think it is?"

Ask a stupid question, get a smart ass answer. If you go out and spend money to modify your car to then intentionally try to cause a $4k repair and people respond with WTF?, don't be surprised.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Jul 5 2006, 03:10 PM
I think some of you are missing the point. The original question could be put this way,

"Hey guys, I just took the weak point of my car and changed the set up to put more stress on it. The I went out and tried to do something that would most likely break it. Then it broke. What do you guys think it is?"

Ask a stupid question, get a smart ass answer. If you go out and spend money to modify your car to then intentionally try to cause a $4k repair and people respond with WTF?, don't be surprised.
Dude, please....

The stock clutch grabs hard enough to spin wheels instantly apon a dump. An aggressive clutch would make no difference.

Why are you bustin his sack so hard? Personally, I'm getting annoyed with the folks who propetuate the myth of the weak s2k drive train. Have you ever broke anything on your drivetrain, vader? If you haven't then you have no ground to stand on except the stuff you've read on here.

And what would break that would cost 4k to fix from clutch dumps? A diff is 800 used and axles are like 100....
Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyraid2K,Jul 5 2006, 11:37 AM
great more hating!
Please define hating? I love S2000s.

Quick Reply: Messed my s up bad