S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MES service connector (SRS light)

Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's very strange the light is not turning off. Unless your jumper wire is not making positive contact between the two pins in the connector, I don't have a clue.

Are you using 1 jumper wire to jump the two pins? or have 2 wires and twisting them together? I ask, because I was having issues getting the light to turn off as well (I was using 2 wires). It needs a positive solid contact for it to work right. If you're not using one wire, try it again doing so.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
That's very strange the light is not turning off. Unless your jumper wire is not making positive contact between the two pins in the connector, I don't have a clue.

Are you using 1 jumper wire to jump the two pins? or have 2 wires and twisting them together? I ask, because I was having issues getting the light to turn off as well (I was using 2 wires). It needs a positive solid contact for it to work right. If you're not using one wire, try it again doing so.
honestly, i tried both and i knew they were both connected because i got a 5 volt drop between the two. The wire im using is the multi small wires in the casing, im not sure if a single wire would work better. I may just not be making continuity between the two. Ill have to try again tomorrow. Do you know how many volts are supposed to be at that connector? i was getting close to 5.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Lets start from the beginning. Did you fix the problem that caused the light?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used one wire, took a couple tries to get it right.

Make sure problem is fixed per gigdy.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android ftw
Old 09-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Lets start from the beginning. Did you fix the problem that caused the light?
the steering wheel had just been swapped over to stock from an aftermarket. Now, originally i was scared because in a lot of cars the light will go off automatically if theres nothing wrong. However, i read a couple other threads where the light stayed on after the swap and it just needed to be cleared. So im hoping thats the case and the spiral cable or something else isnt messed up. I took out the airbag and everything is connected properly. I will do this again to make sure.

What im not understanding is, (unless im doing the procedure wrong and not getting the wires hooked up).. Even if theres a problem, the reset procedure should still work, yet the light would just come back on. If the light never turned off at all the reset procedure would be obsolete. Know what i mean?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had an aftermarket steering wheel, but correct me if I'm wrong in saying that it elimnated the air bag (driver side). Our SRS units are self diagnosing, and it does not need to be reset manually. If the light stays on after 6 seconds with the Key ON, then you have a fault in the SRS system and the air bags have been disabled. Take a scan tool to it and read what the problem is.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

The airbag light will not go off on its own.

It has to be rest with the paper clip. connect-disconnect procedure.

Jumping the terminal and turning the key on will do squat. Its not turning off they way you are doing it because there is a code. Follow the sequence to CLEAR OUT the code and the light will go off...you will get blink a confirmation when done correctly. After the blink, if the code repeats due to a problem, the light will come back on.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250

Jumping the terminal and turning the key on will do squat. Its not turning off they way you are doing it because there is a code. Follow the sequence to CLEAR OUT the code and the light will go off...you will get blink a confirmation when done correctly. After the blink, if the code repeats due to a problem, the light will come back on.
its not that im just jumping the terminal and expecting it to go out. its that the first step of the procedure is to jump it and after 6 seconds the light is supposed to go out and then come back on, then u disconnect the terminals, reconnect and so on. Thank you for confirming the fact that it does need to be reset manually. The problem here is that i cant get the procedure to start IE the light never turns off and then back on the first step. i will have to try again today.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah yes, I stand corrected.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by SDgoods
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1316454692' post='20986438

its not that im just jumping the terminal and expecting it to go out. its that the first step of the procedure is to jump it and after 6 seconds the light is supposed to go out and then come back on, then u disconnect the terminals, reconnect and so on. Thank you for confirming the fact that it does need to be reset manually. The problem here is that i cant get the procedure to start IE the light never turns off and then back on the first step. i will have to try again today.
I don't know if it is your problem, but the connector has four holes and only two wires, when I first tried it I had my wire inserted in the wrong holes and nothing happened, moved it to the other two holes and it worked.

Quick Reply: MES service connector (SRS light)