S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mechanic misdiagnosed cylinder misfire- time for new mechanic?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic misdiagnosed cylinder misfire- time for new mechanic?

My 2005 s2000 has just under 60K miles. Brought it in last week because my engine light kept coming on. I had repeatedly disconnected the battery overnight then reconnect it before going to work, but that only worked for a day or two before the engine light came back on. My mechanic tells me cylinder #2 misfired and did a valve adjustment, plus the 60K service since it was just about due. Thought that would fix it, but one week later the light came back on. This time it's the same cylinder, but they detected a leak and are now running a compression test- I'll get the results tomorrow morning. So here's my question: was this an unusual problem to diagnose or should my mechanic have discovered it the first time I came in? I'm sure I'll get some kind of credits towards the repair, but it's still a hassle I don't need.

Thanks in advance!
hobbes
Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

define 60k service.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well, hopefully he at least used an OBD scan to read a code that got him there. If it was "intuition" obviously dump him.

If it was an OBD code for a cylinder2 misfire, then it's a misfire...but there's so many reasons. How can he "detect a leak" without a compression or leakdown test...that's a weird one.

IF it is a misfire, did he...
-check the plugs? Are they fouled? Is the ground electrode broken (not really an AP2 issue to my understanding)? Are they torqued correctly?
-switch ignition modules to see if maybe that was it (CEL would read a misfire on another cylinder)?
-think it could possibly be an injector issue (injectors are identical to my understanding)?

In my car, the only thing that has ever tripped a CEL is that stupid secondary air injection system. There's a vacuum tank under the airbox (about 3 inches by 5 inches, black plastic)...are there 2 hoses coming out of it? I broke that a few times and it always tripped a CEL.

Just for the heck of it, get your code read at Autozone or something and see for yourself if it even is a misfire?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 PM

60K service- standard service recommended at 60,000 miles. New plugs, differential fluid, etc.

Sorry for not being clear, he found the leak by doing the leakdown test. The compression test results I'll find out in the morning.

Having a leak at 60K seems a little odd though, no? I know jack about engines, but from what I can tell online there may not have been much reason to do a leakdown or compression test the first time at my mileage. I'll know more later, but thanks.

Originally Posted by steven975
well, hopefully he at least used an OBD scan to read a code that got him there. If it was "intuition" obviously dump him.

If it was an OBD code for a cylinder2 misfire, then it's a misfire...but there's so many reasons. How can he "detect a leak" without a compression or leakdown test...that's a weird one.

IF it is a misfire, did he...
-check the plugs? Are they fouled? Is the ground electrode broken (not really an AP2 issue to my understanding)? Are they torqued correctly?
-switch ignition modules to see if maybe that was it (CEL would read a misfire on another cylinder)?
-think it could possibly be an injector issue (injectors are identical to my understanding)?

In my car, the only thing that has ever tripped a CEL is that stupid secondary air injection system. There's a vacuum tank under the airbox (about 3 inches by 5 inches, black plastic)...are there 2 hoses coming out of it? I broke that a few times and it always tripped a CEL.

Just for the heck of it, get your code read at Autozone or something and see for yourself if it even is a misfire?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM

If you trust your Mechcanic....keep him. If not........
Old 08-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have probably fixed 1000 p0300-p0308s in my day and I've probably only gotten down to a compression test one a handful of them. He probably saw the valves were out of adjustment and it sounds like it did fix the problem, if it was still missing when you left the light would have probably popped on a bit sooner then a week.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

go to a auto zone when the cel comes back on. they will tell you what is the cause and the truth. and did you did do spark plugs? maybe there not gapped correctly or the tip broke off on cyliner #2 and messed it up. like steve said.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 AM

40% leakage in cylinder #2, and psi was something like 110. Ouch, at only 59K+ miles! Thankfully I bought the extended warranty 3 years ago!

Time to buy a lotto ticket and relax.

Now, when will I need to replace the other ones??? Million dollar question.

Hobbes
Old 08-27-2011, 06:01 AM

What's causing the leakage exactly?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 PM

I got word today that the valve was not burnt, the problem originated from the seal. I didn't have much time to talk to my mechanic in detail about the seal, but he sent the parts to the machinist today for a repair estimate. The extended warranty will most likely cover it. My mechanic wants to have the machinist work on all the seals so we don't have this problem again in the future and is getting a separate quote for that work. Extended warranty may pay for some of that cost, but probably not.

Is this a common problem? My mechanic says it's not uncommon for my car. Second question is, should I do the preventative work my mechanic suggests, or take the chance that if it happens again, it will happen before my extended warranty runs out in 2.5 years? My first though is yes, since we've already got it disassembled, why not? But then the cost might be too high for me, especially if the warranty won't help out.

Thanks in advance,
hobbes

Originally Posted by LS What?!
What's causing the leakage exactly?

Quick Reply: Mechanic misdiagnosed cylinder misfire- time for new mechanic?