S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is it me or do s2k eat up crank and rod bearings

Old 12-07-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it me or do s2k eat up crank and rod bearings

Just asking because I'm noticing that alot of people are having rod knock issues. I'm kind of getting paranoid of even driving my car anymore. I'm afraid to hear rod knock. I have been doing a little research and noticed that once a bearing goes out most people just buy a used motor. Is it that hard to rebuild the motor? I'm used to b series. Are these motors not designed well or something? Just asking, it's my first f series and a little intimidating.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mexs2k
Just asking because I'm noticing that alot of people are having rod knock issues. I'm kind of getting paranoid of even driving my car anymore. I'm afraid to hear rod knock. I have been doing a little research and noticed that once a bearing goes out most people just buy a used motor. Is it that hard to rebuild the motor? I'm used to b series. Are these motors not designed well or something? Just asking, it's my first f series and a little intimidating.
I do not understand how. As long as you take care of it ,it shouldn't give you a whole lot of problems unless it is one of the earlier year 2000 versions. Just keep an eye on your oil level and get an idea of how much time it will take to burn off some oil. Just do more searching on this forum and you should have an idea of what to look out for.

This engine from what I understand is a little bit of a challenge to rebuild just like the prelude h22/23 engines with the FRM cylinder walls.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Your reading posts on a forum, these posts represent a very small % of owners. I am sure if you went to any other forum (BMW, Corrvette, etc.) you would see similar stuff.

These engines are very well built and as long as they are well maintained they will last a long time. This from the performance deliverd by these engines is IMO quite impressive. I wouldn't worry a bit. Think of it this way, worse case you do spin a bearing, you can toss in a low mile used engine and sell your old and maybe have $2500 net in the whole deal, that is as much as a standard maintenance interval on some Porsches and BMWs!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

stop fiddling with it so much and take proper care, it can handle quite a beating. my previous car had 88k miles when i sold it. i put 40k of those in myself and with the last 2 year which was about 10k miles of ownership it was raced in autocross and daily driven. And its still going..
Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait, a lot of people are having rod knock issues? I'm not sure if I've heard of anyone here on the forum with rod knock issues - especially if they're driving a properly maintained stock motor.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no threads currently saying that they have rod knock.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Your reading posts on a forum, these posts represent a very small % of owners. I am sure if you went to any other forum (BMW, Corrvette, etc.) you would see similar stuff.

These engines are very well built and as long as they are well maintained they will last a long time. This from the performance deliverd by these engines is IMO quite impressive. I wouldn't worry a bit. Think of it this way, worse case you do spin a bearing, you can toss in a low mile used engine and sell your old and maybe have $2500 net in the whole deal, that is as much as a standard maintenance interval on some Porsches and BMWs!
This.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Aren't these engines noted for lasting, like 200,000 miles --- like other Honda engines? I thought they are built like the old Mercedes diesels, in terms of reliability. Hell, I have a Honda lawn mower with 100K on it.

Use good gas. Maintain with good oil at regular intervals. Proper coolant level. Keep valves adjusted to specs. You'll be good to go.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dam near check it every time I drive it. Haha. I can't remember where I have read articles about people experiencing issues. Some where on other forums and 1 or 2 on this forum I think. Anyways my is an 02. So I Already Know They Drink Oil. It's an awesome car to drive.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I have a few customers over 260,000 miles.

They check their oil, and don't misread the stick (very common).

Quick Reply: Is it me or do s2k eat up crank and rod bearings