S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Me dealer refuses to do TSB 02-042 (sparkplugs) - what to do?

Old 07-19-2002, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnR
[B]let me tell you guys why they don't like to work on warranty work...

The reason for that is American Honda regulates on the "hours" charged for the labor.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:11 AM

Speaking of alignment, I asked my dealer to align my car to UK spec and they quite honestly told me that they cannot align my car to anything other than US spec with affecting my warranty. What dicks.

Chris
Old 07-19-2002, 01:43 AM
Banned

Chris, give me the name and phone number of the dealer and I'll call them!

Blake
Old 07-19-2002, 03:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Hams2000
I took my S in for the clutch TSB. I was really trying to get them to replace a slipping clutch but I cited the notorious "BUZZ" as the real problem.
O.K. Chris, let me get this straight. You lie to the dealer about the problem that you are having with your car and now you're mad because they wouldn't fix it???

Well they called me the next day and guess what they told me? "Well technically your warranty should be void since you lowered your car (Eibach springs), but our technician drove your car and found that the buzzing you're hearing is due to the fact that your drive angle has changed".
This is a really flimsy excuse.

Getting good dealer service is really very simple. If you establish a good relationship with the service department people, they will often be happy to take care of you properly. I've had good dealership experiences, but I am straightforward when it comes to my problems. My shop foreman knows how I drive my car (with enthusiasm) and does not give me any any B.S. excuses. By the same token, I don't misrepresent what problems I'm having with my car and am willing to pay out of my pocket when my driving style results in non-warranteeable issues (like clutch slippage often can be). Trust works both ways! You have not gotten off on a good foot with this dealership, so go to another one, meet with the service manager and say this to him/her "I drive my S2000 really hard and now experience clutch slippage. I'll be happy to pay for the repair. " 2 things may now happen 1) They replace your clutch and you pay for it. or 2) Someone in the service department realized that there is a TSB out on clutch rattle and the decide to do the work under warrantee in order to build and maintain a good relationship with an honest customer. Try it out and let me know how it works for you .

Take my friend Mark... He bought a '02 Spa and his car stalled at a light with 1200 miles, dealer tags on still... He starts it back up and guess what? #4 cylinder failure... Honda told him to stick it and so he's had the car since Feb with no motor.
There must be more to the story than this. Was the failure absolutely #4 cylinder scoring problem? Have your friend get in touch with Barry from Wyoming who is compiling all of the #4 cylinder failures. He may be able to help out.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:26 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CoralDoc
[B]O.K. Chris, let me get this straight. You lie to the dealer about the problem that you are having with your car and now you're mad because they wouldn't fix it???
Old 07-19-2002, 06:31 AM

Exactly right........ The decelaration buzz doesnt really annoy me that much. MY clutch was slipping already, so I brought up the "buzz" because it IS there. My dealer just likes being an ASS.... So dont tell me about flimsy excuses. My clutch slips with 9000 on the odometer on a 2 year old car that have NEVER been clutch dumped. I think that alone warrants a clutch replacement.

Chris
Old 07-19-2002, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by infinitebass
Don't be an ass. He was obviously experiencing the deceleration buzz. And they are required to fix it. They refused to, and gave him a BS answer. We aren't talking about his reasons for it. We're talking about the dealer. Not Chris.
I disagree. Chris brought up his experience as an example of the dealer not treating him fairly. I simply want to point out that fabricating a reason for a repair contributed to the problem he is now having and is not a good way to establish good interpersonal relations. The dealership is run by people and they deserve to be treated with respect. By his own admission Chris is not bothered by the clutch buzz and is attempting to have his clutch replaced because of a slipping problem. The TSB is for clutch buzz, not clutch slippage. If I am an "ass" for being straightforward in how I deal with people then I want to be one.

I agree with you that if Chris' clutch is slipping prematurely and if he has not abused it by clutch dumps, it should be fixed under warrantee. Unfortunately, he is now in a weaker position to have this done.

I live with a guy who has a Prelude. He has a melted catalytic Converter. They refuse to replace it because they say his header caused higher flow, producing more heat, etc. By law they have to fix it. And he has a good relationship with the service guys, because he lives with two S2000 owners who are good friends with the service manager at the dealership. In fact, the service manager was very sorry that he couldn't help because the DSM said he couldn't.
. You are wrong about the law. If an aftermarket part directly contributes to the failure of a warranteeable item, then the warrantee can be denied. There seems to be a strong case for this based on the information that you provided about your friends car. Why did your friend install an aftermarket header? I bet it was to improve exhaust flow to increase horsepower.

Oh, did I mention, the dealer HAS NO CHOICE whether they warranty a problem if a person has aftermarket parts? It goes straight to the DSM. You tell me how to start a good relationship with the DSM when you can get in contact with AHM, but there is no way to actually contact the DSM directly. The service people WILL NOT and CAN NOT provide his number, and that is who makes the decisions. Its kind of hard to start a good relationship with someone you will never speak with.
The service technicians are the ones that report the problem to the DSM. There are different ways that a problem can be described and that may help your case if the dealership personnel are sympathetic.

It's nice that you're sticking up for someone you feel is under attack, but I also sympathize with Chis' position. His clutch is slipping, he wants it fixed under warrantee and the dealer gave him a flimsy excuse as to why they won't do it. IMO fabricating a reason to have the clutch replaced is not the right approach.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Hams2000
Exactly right........ The decelaration buzz doesnt really annoy me that much. MY clutch was slipping already, so I brought up the "buzz" because it IS there. My dealer just likes being an ASS.... So dont tell me about flimsy excuses. My clutch slips with 9000 on the odometer on a 2 year old car that have NEVER been clutch dumped. I think that alone warrants a clutch replacement.

Chris
Well I did say that I agree with you - the dealership did give you a load of B.S. about the effect of lowering on your clutch. I just don't agree with the way you approached your dealer.

It will be very interesting to examine the clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel upon disassembly to see what was going on and why the clutch is slipping.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:53 AM

The information about reluctance to do warranty work is correct. Honda shares some blame by not pricing the warranty rate competitively and minimizing the flat rate times.

You need to either:
Complain to Honda, which likely will work in this limited case.
Find a dealer who's not so busy.

BTW, this is business as usual at many dealerships. It has nothing to do with your efforts to build a relationship.

But lets be realistic. As a commissioned service director, would you rather bill $160 ($80 shop rate) an hour or $40 for an hour (Honda warranty rate.) As a mechanic would you rather make $60 an hour or $18 an hour? In this example, the exact dollar amounts might differ but the ratios are pretty real world.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:21 AM

I took a hard copy of the TSB from this site to the service manager -- he agreed to order the plugs and do the change --
I will advise when the plugs arrive

Quick Reply: Me dealer refuses to do TSB 02-042 (sparkplugs) - what to do?