S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Me dealer refuses to do TSB 02-042 (sparkplugs) - what to do?

Old 07-18-2002, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me dealer refuses to do TSB 02-042 (sparkplugs) - what to do?

My car is currently in for service due to some transmission problems, and while there I asked them to do the TSB 02-042. Full details on the TSB are here. They say that as this is not a recall, they cannot perform the TSB without the car exhibiting any of the symptoms of loose spark plugs. I asked what those symptoms were - the service tech didn't know. What do I do now? Hope that my plugs don't come loose? I simply can't believe Honda or even the dealership would not perform this type of preventative maintenance which could cause serious damage in the near future. Any advice on what to do from here?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Sigh.... Couldn't agree more with your sentiment, Mike.

Dealer name, please?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:41 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told that the parts should be coming to the dealers soon and some of them may not know about it yet. It takes different spark plugs, and there will be a recall.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your premature due to the knowledge provided by this wonderful site! Give it a few weeks; then when you have the letter from Honda in hand, return to the dealer. Be advised that many dealers have'nt even been advised yet unless they are proactive or have owners from this site. Letters are due out in a few weeks....read the text in the TSB. When your letter tells you to take it in take it in.

Utah
Old 07-18-2002, 08:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Utah,

I agree with what you say, but I'm not happy with what Mike's dealer said to him. Either the dealer is ignorant (likely), or dismissive (worse).

Mike, who's your dealer? Maybe we should take this to the New England forum to see how things go in the area... Thanks for the report.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:06 PM

That's just becoming more and more common with Honda these days. Honda used to stand for quality in America, but lately they dont seem to stand behind their product. I have a funny story relating to this....

I took my S in for the clutch TSB. I was really trying to get them to replace a slipping clutch but I cited the notorious "BUZZ" as the real problem. I also left it because of a bad O2 sensor and the driver side headlight low beam had come loose inside the housing. Well they called me the next day and guess what they told me? "Well technically your warranty should be void since you lowered your car (Eibach springs), but our technician drove your car and found that the buzzing you're hearing is due to the fact that your drive angle has changed". Of course I thought about what to say before I said it, and this is what I said....

"So you're telling me that since I lowered my car, I've changed the angle of the driveshaft and that's causing the buzz and vibration?"..... To this he says yes....

And then with quite a grin I say: "Well how is that possible since the S2000 has independent suspension and the rearend is bolted to the rear subframe? I didnt lower the subframe..."

Well as you can imagine he just sat there stupid.... He basically said that regardless, I changed the something so Honda is no longer obligated to help me out...

Thanks Honda! I'm really glad to know that they stand behind their flagship product. All to often I see dealers telling the S2000 owners to stick it when they have a problem with the car....

Take my friend Mark... He bought a '02 Spa and his car stalled at a light with 1200 miles, dealer tags on still... He starts it back up and guess what? #4 cylinder failure... Honda told him to stick it and so he's had the car since Feb with no motor.

I love the S2000, but I can tell you that I will NEVER buy another Honda again. The funny thing is that when you go to Japan, no one drives Honda, they're shit there. Why do we love them so much? I love the S2000, but it certainly my dealer support, or lack of, certainly boils my blood.

9000 miles and problems already... I am scared to see what happens when it has 90,000 on it.

Chris
Old 07-18-2002, 10:30 PM
Banned

Chris....lowering your car does not void your warranty in any way, shape, or form...

Blake
Old 07-18-2002, 10:45 PM

you dont have to tell me! Tell my dealer!

Chris
Old 07-19-2002, 12:56 AM

let me tell you guys why they don't like to work on warranty work...

The reason for that is American Honda regulates on the "hours" charged for the labor. Basically, the service people don't get paid as much to work on a warranty type of job than just a regular job. If you would pay atention to a service ticket, labor time would say a certain time and that's how much they charge you even if they finish the job less than said time. (hope that made sense) So instead of service double charging you for hours, Honda actualy only pays them for the set hours that Honda said it would aproximately take someone to finish the job. Therefore, sales advisors get paid less commission, service techs get paid less commission, so then that is why they get all mad because they think you're wasting their time when they can be trying to make more money off of someone else.

Hope that made sense.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:03 AM

well it keeps them honest. Honda might call for 2 hours to change a CV axle where it only takes the mechanic 1 hour. They're still going to charge you for 2 hours though... Opposite is true like you said. If it's a warranty item and say you have a clutch installed.... AHM will only reimburse the dealer for 4 hours labor like you said. Let's say it actually takes him 8 hours (extreme scenario I know)... Well who pays the mechanic those extra 4 hours? The DEALER!

So there you go. I totally agree with your point. I think it's BS either way. Honda should stand behind their product, period.

They've definately lost me as a repeat customer. I'll stick to my Nissans.

Chris

Quick Reply: Me dealer refuses to do TSB 02-042 (sparkplugs) - what to do?