S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Maybe the tensioner

Old 09-15-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe the tensioner

So I wrote about my car maybe a month ago possibly having a tensioner problem, I was getting the bicycle spokes sound on warm start-ups but not all the time. I would never get the sound on cold starts or driving, I got a oil change and the sound went away. Maybe a month after the oil change I got the sound back but checked the oil noticed I was a 1/2 ct low I topped it off and it was fine. I have been reading other posts and read one that said something about bad tensioners maybe having something to do with Mobile 1. There maybe some truth with this I have a friend with a 02' just like me and he said he never liked how his car ran he switched to Quaker state High RPM and said its a different car. So I want to make the switch but I am only 1500 miles maybe not even that on my oil change. Anyway I got the sound back checked the oil I was alittle low topped off and damn it the sound is still there and now on my first start up of the day I get a loud screechin sound, almost like when cars get water on the supertine belts. The sound is not right away on start up, like the car starts then I get it, I never heared of anyone getting this sound from a tensioner. The weired thing is the first time I got the screeching sound was yesterday, I shut the car off right away then started it again got it again except louder but this time I kept it running for about five mins shut it off started it then nothing it was fine. Also last night at was at a friends for a good 5-6 hrs, started it no sound but tismorning I got it. Me and my g/f just got a place and money is you know, so I dont want to bring it to Honda that way they can rape me up the azz just to look at it. My question to you guys is should I this get the tensioner hopefully it fixes the issue and does this also sound normal for a tensioner? Also do I have to get this part asap or do I have some time to get cash up? Thanks