S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Master Cylinder Went Out

Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Cylinder Went Out

I noticed the clutch pedal losing pressure this morning but the car still shifted fine. I just went out and could not get it in gear. The pedal has no pressure and sticks to the floor. The fluid is low as well (I topped it off last week). Sounds like the master cylinder, right? Anything I should check for? It's a 2003 with 65k miles.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check in the floorboard by the clutch pedal. See if it is leaking there. If it is, best bet is to replace it with a new one. Some have had luck just refilling with new fluid and leak stops by itself, but I was not so lucky. Replaced mine and have been fine ever since. Make sure to adjust the new pushrod properly, (I follow Billman's zero play adjustment)
Old 07-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Mine has a slow leak and needs to be replace sometime soon. I stumbled across this last night, anyone tried it as a better alternative to just an oem replacement since the MC is a wear item in reality anyways. They are probably similar in price to the Honda version but this is an upgrade maybe?
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-489...der-s2000.aspx
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM

the omni power has so bad reviews associated with it on this site, if you search a little more. Personally I've never used it so no comment. The clutch master is pretty cheap on the Majestic Honda website, check it out. I also suggest changing out the clutch slave while you're messing with the hydraulics. I regret not doing both at the same time. (some dirty fluid contamination, even though I bled it 12312890 times.)
Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Yeah, no fluid on the floor. It's leaking on the ground. I topped it off and it shifts fine. The pedal does still feel a little weak. I'm gonna keep it topped off until I can replace the master and slave cylinder. Majestic Honda has great prices! Anyone have a good DIY?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Keep the fluid clean. replace just the fluid in the res every 5k miles, no need to bleed. The leak will stop.

DO NOT get an omni MC. They are garbage.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by dgaplin
I noticed the clutch pedal losing pressure this morning but the car still shifted fine. I just went out and could not get it in gear. The pedal has no pressure and sticks to the floor. The fluid is low as well (I topped it off last week). Sounds like the master cylinder, right? Anything I should check for? It's a 2003 with 65k miles.
My clutch pedal felt unexpectedly very weak this past Saturday AM (first cold AM in TN) and I couldn't engage the gears initially. After repeated actuation of the clutch pedal, I was able to get it into gear and start to shift. I subsequently opened the cap on the master cylinder and noticed the fluid was about 5mm below the MIN line. I had someone else actuate the clutch a few times while I watched the fluid level - continuous air bubbles were revealed, so I figured there was a leak somewhere. I filled it back up with some new fluid and took it in to the dealer for further diagnosis. They kept it over the weekend and called today to inform me that the Master Cylinder was in fact leaking and that it needed replacement. This is an '06 with 59k on it.. I'm curious if any of you guys have had this kind of failure without any leaks visible (i didn't see any)? or had any kind of misdiagnosis drama with the CMC? Also, some of you recommended replacing the slave as well.. can you explain why if other than convenience? I'm having the dealer do it ($368 out the door).
Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM

it is your clutch master cylinder. one day i was at work and got back in the car and as i was driving the pedal was stating to feel way to soft until finally it just stayed on the firewall so i check and its a common problem on ap1's. if you cant afford a CMC at the moment you can stil drive your car by jacking up your car and right next to the transmission you will be able to see the bleeder nipple and all you have to do is pour some brake fluid and pump out the little air bubbles that got in there not too hard just keep an eye on it. usually they leak from the actual piston where the clutch pedal is located where you see the piston going in and out. thats what i did and just keep an eye on the levels of the CMC and youl be good.actually mine didnt leak that much and i went almost a year like that and when i replaced it, it felt the same so thank god i didnt do any harm to my clutch. because thats very costly. good luck
Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by S2K_@L3X
it is your clutch master cylinder. one day i was at work and got back in the car and as i was driving the pedal was stating to feel way to soft until finally it just stayed on the firewall so i check and its a common problem on ap1's. if you cant afford a CMC at the moment you can stil drive your car by jacking up your car and right next to the transmission you will be able to see the bleeder nipple and all you have to do is pour some brake fluid and pump out the little air bubbles that got in there not too hard just keep an eye on it. usually they leak from the actual piston where the clutch pedal is located where you see the piston going in and out. thats what i did and just keep an eye on the levels of the CMC and youl be good.actually mine didnt leak that much and i went almost a year like that and when i replaced it, it felt the same so thank god i didnt do any harm to my clutch. because thats very costly. good luck
Thanks. I went ahead and had the CMC replaced and I could tell a difference in the pedal immediately... apparently the fluid was leaking ever so slowly that I didn't even notice that my clutch engagement position had also been moving progressively downward toward the floorboard. Now it is back to the proper setting (as I understand it) at about 1" from resting position. The dealer said that the slave cylinder was fine - so here's hoping my clutch wasn't hurt along the way.

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder Went Out